Any new info on this error that continually posts to my log file?

Thread id : 13552 : Time 10:30:04 : DbC EnsureViolation 'm_bankDetailsMap[bid] != 0' in OnlineBankList::FindBank (banklist.cpp @ line # 2481.)

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    qw.log has thousands of EnsureViolations and PreconditionViolations that Quicken developers have never deemed worthy of squelching. Why does this particular one bother you?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• kenjfoster
    kenjfoster Member
    It's the sheer volume of them. The time stamps indicate that it logs up to 240 entries per second. Opening my account register creates over 2600 entries into the log. A single click to maximize the screen creates around 1500, as does typing each individual letter into the search field. Performance is terrible. When I type an eight-letter word into the search field it takes about 15 seconds for all the characters to even appear. Everything I do in the program is this way.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

More details, please.
    Do you use Quicken Mac or Quicken for Windows?
    What version, edition level (Starter, Deluxe, etc.) and release (R xx.xx) of Quicken are you using?
    US, Canadian or other country version?
    Is your subscription expired or still active?
    Click Help / About Quicken (Mac: Quicken / About Quicken) to get this information.
    What version of Windows or Mac OS are you using?

This sounds to me as if something might have happened to the file which contains information about the financial institutions available for transaction downloading.
    For Quicken for Windows US, the file I'm talking about is called Fidir.txt and lives in a (hidden, I believe) file folder named
        C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\Localweb\Banklist\2019 for the Subscription version.
    Older versions will have this file in
        C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Inet\Common\Localweb\Banklist\20xx (where 20xx varies with the year of your old version)

You can open this file with Notepad, another ASCII file text editor or open it with Excel as tab-delimited text file, if you're interested.

So, for a shot in the dark ... If this file is damaged or missing and you're on an active subscription, start an "Add Account" process (click the "+" icon in the Account Bar header line). This will download the latest Fidir.txt file and hopefully fix your problem
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Out of curiosity I deleted my qw.log file (which was only 103KB) and started Quicken, ran One Step Update, went into a checking account, credit card account and an investment account and close Quicken.
    These are the only entries in my qw.log.

Tue Jun 14 09:42:16 2022
    Process id : 13856 Thread id : 10048 : Time 09:42:18 :  DbC PreconditionViolation 'pDB != 0 && resourceType < GetNumResourceTypes() && pResource != 0 && !IsResourceVariableSize(resourceType) && pRsrcSpec != 0' in QDBGetResource (qdb.c @ line # 1747.)
    Process id : 13856 Thread id : 10048 : Time 09:42:18 :  DbC PreconditionViolation 'pDB != 0 && resourceType < GetNumResourceTypes() && pResource != 0 && !IsResourceVariableSize(resourceType) && pRsrcSpec != 0' in QDBPutResource (qdb.c @ line # 1820.)
    Process id : 13856 Thread id : 10048 : Time 09:42:20 :  DbC EnsureViolation '(refStock != (SEC_REF) -1 && refStock != (SEC_REF) 0)' in INVGetOpenGrantsEx (invutil.cpp @ line # 4961.)
    Process id : 13856 Thread id : 10048 : Time 09:42:22 :  DbC EnsureViolation 'pCntr != 0' in PAGE_DisplayPageInternal (page.c @ line # 25500.)

Even though an entry in this log isn't necessarily a problem, after all this is the developer's debug log, it shouldn't be flooded with entries either.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    The logs can get big. And appending is always a bit slower than writing. It's probably worthwhile to delete the logs periodically.
    For your amusement, the Wikipedia page for Design by Contract says this, sigh:

Performance implications

Contract conditions should never be violated during execution of a bug-free program. Contracts are therefore typically only checked in debug mode during software development. Later at release, the contract checks are disabled to maximize performance.

In many programming languages, contracts are implemented with assert. Asserts are by default compiled away in release mode in C/C++, and similarly deactivated in C# and Java.

Launching the Python interpreter with "-O" (for "optimize") as an argument will likewise cause the Python code generator to not emit any bytecode for asserts.

This effectively eliminates the run-time costs of asserts in production code—irrespective of the number and computational expense of asserts used in development—as no such instructions will be included into production by the compiler.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Rocket J Squirrel that sounds like a highly optimistic college professor view of the world.   :)
    Signature:
  • kenjfoster
    kenjfoster Member
    I'm on Quicken 2017 Home & Business for Windows, US, R20.6. I use Quicken to generate invoices for my customers and to keep my bank account check register. I never set up connected services to download my transactions -- when you mark an invoice as paid, it enters the deposit in the register for you, and that's all I ever wanted from Quicken. I do not have an active subscription.

The entire contents of my fidir.txt is this:

FILIST

I don't know if that's as it should be for an install that was never set up to download transactions.

I work in software support myself and I agree this is probably a data driven issue, but not my account data. Just for yuks I opened a five-year old backup file today and if anything, the problem was worse.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Well, just for yuks, you can try downloading a non-empty fidir.txt from this page.
    Scroll down to section 4 of Manual Update and pick a version.

• kenjfoster
    kenjfoster Member
    Well, then, that seems to have done the trick! The oldest one they had was for 2019 so I used that. For some reason, one folder level up my fidit.txt was a zip file containing the empty fidit.txt. Everything was date stamped one week ago, so it's not clear where that came from.

Thanks RJ, thanks UKR, thanks Chris -- hopefully I'm all set.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    One thing that people might not realize is that old versions like Quicken 2017 are still getting "updates".  
    There are "version updates", but there are also other updates like the financial institution information file that get updated periodically.  That is how every once in a while, you might get an ad to upgrade to the latest version.

I have even seen Quicken 2017 update automatically to the latest Quicken 2017 while installing.
    The "blocks" they put in to stop downloading of transactions and such are on the servers, not the program itself.  It keeps merrily doing what it always did as long as the servers respond to it.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.