Enormous unrealized loss

pswillia1
pswillia1 Member ✭✭
I deleted and then manually re-entered an investment transaction because it resulted in Quicken showing an enormous unrealized gain of -$92,233,720,368,506,153.79.

I bought 7 shares of SCHG on 6/29/2021 for a total of $1022.25. Quicken calculates the price per share at $146.035714.

All of that is normal. But for some reason this crazy loss gets introduced. As I said, I deleted this transaction and this made the unrealized gain disappear. But when I re-entered the transaction, it came back.

This creates funky net worth and investment reports. Any idea how to fix this?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    edited June 2022
    SCHG had a 2:1 stock split as of 3/11/22 so I assume you have 14 shares currently?  If not, are there other transactions for this fund?  Nevertheless, one thing you can try is doing a Ctrl+Shift+Z, when you are in the investment register.  It recalculates all of the transactions in the investment account.  Make sure you are clicked on any transaction in the register when you do it.  I am not sure it will work, but it's worth a try.

• pswillia1
    pswillia1 Member ✭✭
    Thank you. I recalculated but this did not change anything.

I had multiple transactions with this security in this account over a period of about two years, including purchases, sales, dividends, transfers to another account (shown as shares removed), and the mentioned stock split. This position is closed and Quicken correctly shows that I have 0 shares.

But the $92 quadrillion unrealized loss remains.
  • You never really explicitly said, but I assume the transaction in question is a sale?

The next thing I would try is to go through every transaction for that security in your register and for each one hit "Edit" and then "Enter/Done" on the pop-up box.  That might flush out an error in a transaction somewhere.

Have you also gone through any troubleshooting steps such as Validate, or Super Validate, or a "File Copy"?  If not, this support article might help - 

https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That $92 Quadrillion figure is well-known in the Quicken community as evidence of data file corruption.  You need to identify and delete the transaction that's the source of the corruption in order to fix it.  If you've every had SCHG in your portfolio previously that's probably the place to start.  You might also focus on other transactions around that same date.
  • pswillia1
    pswillia1 Member ✭✭
    Thanks. I will live with it until they fix it. I've already spent more time on this than it is worth. The Excel files I export to take care of this. Funny to pay an annual fee with a well-known issue that they don't fix.
  • pswillia1
    pswillia1 Member ✭✭
    P.S. The validate function worked and seemed to fix the issue.
  • @pswillia1 - glad you found a solution to the issue.  Those data file troubleshooting tips come in handy. 
This discussion has been closed.