When entering a transaction, why does Quicken highlight every item in the memorized payee list?

7Chris
7Chris Member ✭✭
When entering a transaction into an account's register manually, Quicken highlights every item in the memorized payee list. Quicken didn't used to do this. Recall that the memorized payee drop-down list that appears when entering a transaction in the register consists of two columns, the payee name and the transaction category; each payee can have one or more categories, each being its own row in the memorized payee drop-down list.

Before this bug (that highlights the entire memorized payee list), users could start typing the payee name and then use the down arrow to change which row Quicken was selecting/highlighting. This apparent software bug hinders users from discerning which of the multiple, memorized categories they are selecting for the current transaction. Without seeing in advance which memorized category they are selecting, users may have to reassign the correct category more frequently.

This bug (that highlights the entire memorized payee list) exists in other lists as well, including in the "Security Name" field when manually entering reinvested income in an investment account. Is anyone else experiencing the same? I'd like to add a screenshot here, but this interface doesn't seem to support it. Thank you.

Best Answer

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I cannot reproduce your problem. My lists behave properly in R41.10. What Quicken release are you running? What operating system version?
    You can attach a screen shot by saving the image file to your desktop, then dragging the icon into the comment box in your next reply.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I cannot reproduce your problem. My lists behave properly in R41.10. What Quicken release are you running? What operating system version?
    You can attach a screen shot by saving the image file to your desktop, then dragging the icon into the comment box in your next reply.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• 7Chris
    7Chris Member ✭✭
    Interestingly, I am no longer experiencing this problem of Quicken highlighting all items in the list. It's happened intermittently over some months now. I'll continue to monitor to try to correlate it with something, if it happens again. For now, I'll mark the question as answered.

I am also using Quicken R41.10 on Windows 11 Pro version 21H2.

Thank you, Rocket, for taking a look.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When this problem occurs, what other apps are running? Is there one that, only when it runs, causes the display problem?
    Are you using multiple monitors? Does the problem occur when Quicken is displayed using monitor A, but not when on monitor B?
  • 7Chris
    7Chris Member ✭✭
    @UKR, On days when I use Quicken, it is usually the first application that I open after booting and logging in. Sometimes I have Firefox open before Quicken. I have only one monitor.
    Thank you for these cues for me to consider when trying to figure out correlate this highlighting issue.
  • sbarber5
    sbarber5 Member ✭✭
    edited July 2022
    I experience this intermittently, and regularly. For me it appears to be triggered after running a game through Steam for a little while (PUBG). Frustrating and the only solution appears to be to reboot the system, not just close and reopen Quicken.

Edit: I do run 3 displays but it does not matter which display Quicken is open on.
  • sbarber5
    sbarber5 Member ✭✭
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    sbarber5 said:
    I experience this intermittently, and regularly. For me it appears to be triggered after running a game through Steam for a little while (PUBG). Frustrating and the only solution appears to be to reboot the system, not just close and reopen Quicken.

Edit: I do run 3 displays but it does not matter which display Quicken is open on.
    Have you discussed this with the game vendor's support center? Off the back of my head, I'd suspect the game program to do something to display settings which isn't correctly reset when you exit the game.

• 7Chris
    7Chris Member ✭✭
    Since I do not have that game installed, I doubt the Quicken highlighting issue that we are both experiencing is related to the game. There's probably something common between our systems or it is an issue specifically with Quicken.

BTW, because I had previously marked this question as answered, I started a new question with additional details here:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7915646/right-after-updating-when-entering-transactions-why-is-the-whole-memorized-payee-list-highlighted
This discussion has been closed.