Quicken Not Deleting Backups Based on Settings

Allday269
Allday269 Member ✭✭
I have my Quicken settings set for automatic backups and to backup Quicken after running every 3 times and to keep a max of 2 backups.

I noticed today my hard drive was running low on space so I went digging to see what was causing it and discovered that it doesn't look like quicken is deleting backups. I have 54 backups dating back to 9/5/21.

This used to work without any issues for years but now appears it is not deleting backups so I assume an update around that time broke something.

Is anyone else having this issue or any suggestions?

Comments

• @allday269 - I think this issue has been around for a long time - 4 or 5 years maybe?  The backup options used to be less flexible than they are now and maybe when more options were added the file limits got broken.  I know that's not an excuse for it, but for me personally, I don't think it's a big issue.  Every once in a while, I go into my backup folders and delete (or move) old backup files.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    This has been an issue ever since Quicken started automatically saving the Quicken file backup prior to upgrading from within the program.   When Quicken upgrades itself, Quicken saves an automatic backup of the current release (-R-XX.XX).  I suspect this effectively resets the number of backups saved counter.

I suggest occasionally checking the automatic backup folder and deleting the backups you no longer wish to save.

We use a scheduled batch script to limit the number of Quicken file backups in our automatic backup folder to five:

@echo off
    pushd %HOMEPATH%\Documents\Quicken\BACKUP
    for /f "skip=5 eol=: delims=" %%F in (
      'dir /b /a-d /o-d QData*.QDF-backup'
    ) do (
      del "%%F"
    )
    popd
  • Allday269
    Allday269 Member ✭✭
    Thanks to both of you for the replies. I guess I will manually delete them out periodically. Weird that they probably know this is a bug if its been going on for many years and choose not to fix it.
  • As one of my bosses used to say - "The devil is in the details."
This discussion has been closed.