Issue with R41.10 for Windows - repeated re-sizing for no reason

Options
Migizi
Migizi Member ✭✭
I recently updated to R41.10 on Quicken for Windows (running on W10). Now suddenly, every time I enter a transaction of any kind, there is a long lag. During the lag, the Quicken window seems to do this strange thing where it re-sizes itself, multiple times, blitzes the memory, and causes such an issue that Windows sometimes asks if I need to shut down the program. Has this been reported? Is it being fixed?
Tagged:

Answers

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    @migizi - I would start with some troubleshooting steps.  Attached is a great support article that might help your situation.

https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
  • Migizi
    Migizi Member ✭✭
    Options
    That is a page about data file issues. This is quite clearly not a data file issue - it is a software issue. But I went ahead and checked those things anyway, and none of them helped.

I should clarify my post a bit: the re-sizing of the window doesn't always happen on every transaction I enter, but it DOES happen every time I click on a different account to look at.

This is a software bug of some kind, introduced with the new version of the software. Has it been catalogued with Quicken yet? Is it known to the developers there, to anyone's knowledge?
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Under "Help" in Quicken click on  "Report a Problem".  That way they investigate this issue...

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• [Deleted User]
    edited June 2022
    Options

@migizi - where do you keep your data file?

I know you say it's a software issue, and it could be, but if it was solely a software issue I think more users would be experiencing it.  We need to rule out a couple of things before we make an assessment.  

• Migizi
    Migizi Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @retird said:
    > Under "Help" in Quicken click on  "Report a Problem".  That way they investigate this issue...

Thank you for pointing this out. I honestly didn't even know this feature existed. I assumed these things had to be reported online via a site like this one. I just sent in the report from Quicken - thank you!
  • Migizi
    Migizi Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Damian said:
    > @migizi - where do you keep your data file?
    >
    > I know you say it's a software issue, and it could be, but if it was solely a software issue I think more users would be experiencing it.  We need to rule out a couple of things before we make an assessment.  

I keep it in the default location Quicken chose some long time ago when I started using it: C:\Users\(user name)\Documents\Quicken.

Also, being a software professional myself, I cannot see how it would be possible that a financial data file (database) serving the program could possibly cause the window to re-size itself. That would have to be a very strange design, plus quite a coincidence that it began immediately after a software update. This is a presentation layer issue of some kind.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @migizi - It could be a design issue, but again, not everyone is experiencing this issue.  There is something that changed in your particular installation of Quicken.  The only other thing I would suggest is to uninstall/reinstall Quicken and then I would update with a "Mondo" patch.

https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

If these steps do not help your issue, I would recommend contacting Quicken Customer Support.  Click on "support" on the menu bar and scroll to the bottom of the page to get more information.

I know you just sent a "Report a problem" to support, but I would still call to follow up.  When you report a problem it does not guarantee a response or resolution.  When you contact support, mention that you sent an error report.  (They might have you send another "Report a problem" while you are on the phone with them.)

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That "resizing issue" where the Quicken window goes out of focus or reduces in size a little, only to blink back to normal within a second or two ... that's Windows getting nervous, indicating "app not responding", and it's doing so while Quicken is processing data ... just not fast enough for Windows' tastes ...
    How much RAM do you have installed in your computer?
    With Quicken running, how much "% memory" is Task Manager reporting as being in use?
    At the same time, how active is your C: - drive, as reported by Task Manager? 100% busy for long durations?
    Recent Quicken versions "have gained some weight", using a lot more RAM than before. This could be what's now causing performance issues on your computer.
  • Migizi
    Migizi Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @UKR said:
    > That "resizing issue" where the Quicken window goes out of focus or reduces in size a little, only to blink back to normal within a second or two ... that's Windows getting nervous, indicating "app not responding", and it's doing so while Quicken is processing data ... just not fast enough for Windows' tastes ...How much RAM do you have installed in your computer?
    > With Quicken running, how much "% memory" is Task Manager reporting as being in use?
    > At the same time, how active is your C: - drive, as reported by Task Manager? 100% busy for long durations?
    > Recent Quicken versions "have gained some weight", using a lot more RAM than before. This could be what's now causing performance issues on your computer.

That is an interesting theory, and it makes sense with the recent upgrade and behavior. I did notice the RAM getting hit big when this happens, so I just tested it with the Task Manager open to see and... this got even weirder.

This time, when I clicked on one account, waited a few seconds, then clicked another, the program got into that resizing loop and just stayed there. Went back and forth, over and over again, endlessly. CPU spiked from 0.1% to around 12%. Memory was already 339 MB when the program started, which seems outlandishly high for a program like this, but it stayed there and didn't spike. Disk usage went up just a hair, but never got about 6% total for all services. Power usage went from Low to Very High. And on my task bar, I kept seeing a second Quicken window open, then immediately close. Which is weird. Final thing really got my attention: when Quicken's CPU spiked, so did the "Antimalware Service Executable" (Windows Defender). Seems like a conflict there maybe.

Something in the logic in this upgrade has made the presentation layer go haywire, and it could be as you said a resource usage issue, or a conflict with Windows Defender, or both. I will call Support as you suggested, to follow up. Thanks for the info.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Migizi said:
    ... Final thing really got my attention: when Quicken's CPU spiked, so did the "Antimalware Service Executable" (Windows Defender).

Check if Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access feature Ransomware protection is enabled.
    If so, configure it to add Quicken as an "allowed app" without turning off Ransomware protection. Perform the last step in https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7857675/faq-windows-defender-controlled-folder-access

• Migizi
    Migizi Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @UKR said:
    > Check if Windows
    > Defender Controlled Folder Access feature Ransomware protection is
    > enabled.
    >
    > If so, configure it to add Quicken as an "allowed app" without
    > turning off Ransomware protection. Perform the last step in https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7857675/faq-windows-defender-controlled-folder-access

Thanks for the idea. But I already have that turned off, so apparently that isn't the issue. Would have been a nice easy fix.
  • Migizi
    Migizi Member ✭✭
    Options
    I ended up going back to R40.21, and the problem is gone. Works fine again. I just have to keep rejecting the Quicken pop-up that says an update is needed, until a new version that fixes the issue comes out. Which is annoying but, oh well. Thanks everyone for your help and ideas.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good to hear you are back to normal.... I no  longer update Quicken until weeks later. Just about every update needs more work when released to a small group of users.... I too am still rejecting the latest update (the one you had issues with).

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

This discussion has been closed.