Mobile app sync

John Petrey
John Petrey Member ✭✭
My wife and I both use the Quicken mobile app to enter transactions to later be sync'd to the desktop app. This has worked fine for years. Recently, only my transactions sync to the desktop application. In troubleshooting I checked and see both my and her transactions on the transaction list on both the mobile app and the web interface so I know the transactions are successfully uploaded to the cloud. But only my transactions sync to the desktop application... hers do not even though they are in the cloud and visible on the mobile app and web interface. What do I need to do to get my wife's transactions that were successfully uploaded to sync with the desktop app?

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    None of the regulars here on the Quicken forum use QMobile/QWeb, so anything I suggest will be spitballing.
    Are both iOS or Android?
    Do you routinely close the QMobile app or the QWeb browser session (completely shutdown)?
    As far as uploading to the cloud goes, it is more of a save after each transaction is saved since the app in actuality just displays information and never really holds any.
    As a test, I would add a single test transaction using the wife's device, then shutdown the app so that it is not running, not even in the background.  Then go to the desktop program and initiate a sync to see if the new transaction is added to the desktop data.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• smvl808
    smvl808 Member ✭✭
    Hi Splasher, is there a reason "none of the regulars here use QMobile/QWeb"? Is it too buggy? thanks.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    @smvl808
    Personally, I have no need for it.  I don't need to look at Quicken to make a decision of whether I should or should not buy something.  If it is that big of a purchase, I've thought about for more than 10 minutes and nothing on my phone is going to help me decide.  If I were to use QMobile, it would be to sync a single cash account to enter transactions on the fly and then move them to the correct account while in desktop.  Using only a cash account, there would be no connection/downloading from a Financial Institution (FI) that could get messed up while syncing to the desktop. 
    I also don't use Express Web Connect downloads.  I don't like the idea of my transactions being aggregated on a third party server (Intuit's server in Quicken's case) for later download, so having that same information in the Quicken Cloud so that it is accessible via QMobile/Q-Web is out of the question.
    I use either Direct Connect or Web Connect download methods.
    Now, recent history has shown that EWC downloads are messing with the Opening Balance of accounts that were de-/re-activated for downloading causing lots of users problems.  The EWC process uses some common routines with the syncing process that the Quicken Cloud Account does to download transactions. 
    Now, is it buggy, well it sure isn't bullet proof.  If you spend enough time here on this forum, you see lots of problems.  Every once in a while I will have a problem with one of my Direct Connect FIs, but that is few and far between.  I rarely ever have a problem with Web Connect.  
    I also don't use Credit Score, Zillow, Quicken Bill/Check Pay, the first two I wonder why anyone thought they were needed in Quicken and the third I don't want any finger pointing if a payment isn't made on time, so I leave that entirely up to my FI.
    To directly answer your question, if you see enough issues with a process, you tend to stay away from it.  I can't speak for the rest of the superusers and I've probably bored you will a lot of side issues, but I'm skeptical of a lot of the fluff that has been added to Quicken over recent years.  It would not have bothered me if they had stuck with Quicken 2013, the last version without QMobile, Quicken Cloud Account and the Quicken Id.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• John Petrey
    John Petrey Member ✭✭
    For what it's worth, the reason why my wife and I use the mobile app is to input transactions, not to check balances. With two people in the household who spend money on the same bank and credit card accounts and where you don't want to fire up the PC and launch Quicken to input one or two transactions, or where you don't have access to the PC for a while such as traveling without the PC, using the mobile app to capture the transactions for later download when you next use the PC is a nice feature. It has worked pretty well for us with once in a while issues such as the one I posted about earlier.
  • smvl808
    smvl808 Member ✭✭
    @splasher @John Petrey Thank you for your helpful feedback.
  • AustinBJ2022
    AustinBJ2022 Member ✭✭
    @smvl808 @splasher @john petrey
    After using Quicken Deluxe on my Windows laptop for many (20+ years), I decided to see if I would be happy using it on my MacBook in conjunction with QMobile on my iPhone and iPad. Being a diehard Apple bigot, I was hoping to ditch Windows altogether. My Windows laptop is relatively heavy, and I use it exclusively for Quicken. I was foolishly hoping that one of the aspects I like most about my Apple stuff (that they seamlessly sync), would hold true if I made the switch. As I now know, despite what I was told by Quicken sales, Quicken Deluxe for the Mac does NOT have some of the features that I really like (e.g., Savings Goals). AND, to the point of this thread, the data I enter on my iPad is not consistently syncing to the Windows laptop. (I gave up using Quicken on the Mac almost immediately.) Having to double/triple check to make sure entries are transferring over is ridiculous. Taking the advice of a close family member who has worked for decades in the security (or lack thereof) of financial data, I decided a long time ago to be extremely cautious in allowing any entity access to my various accounts. So, I guess I'll continue to do all my data entry directly onto my Windows Quicken and forget the short-term convenience of entering transactions on a much lighter mobile device.
  • smvl808
    smvl808 Member ✭✭
    Thanks @AustinBJ2022 Looks like I’ll wait to try mobile sync until I hear that it’s more seamless/accurate.
This discussion has been closed.