Won't open other files (Q Mac)

I recently put an SSD drive into my Mac and did a fresh instal of everything onto the Mac, now when I am trying to open a Quicken file it always goes back to the first one I opened, even though I enter the password for the new file it still always goes back to the first one, I have tried a few files now but always goes back to the first one !!

What do I need to do please ?? Thanks Stephen
Tagged:

Comments

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Which version of Quicken Mac are you running?  

If I'm remembering correctly, in previous versions of Quicken when you tried to start it by double-clicking on a file it would first ask for the password of whatever file had been open the last time Quicken ran and then switch to the new file. The current version doesn't do that, I can't remember when that behavior changed. 

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Stephen Duxbury
    Stephen Duxbury Member ✭✭
    I am on the latest 6.7.1

I have tried both double clicking on the file and using the 'open' menu, it does the same on both ways !
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Once Quicken is open — in the "wrong" file — try File > Open and then navigate to the "correct" file and Quicken will open it. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Stephen Duxbury
    Stephen Duxbury Member ✭✭
    As I said in my first message this still does not work, but I have tried it again to double check it. I tried two other Quicken files 'open' from the menu within Quicken, both files it asks me for the password to open that file with, but it goes back to the original file
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stephen:

A few things you might experiment with to better determine what is going on:

1) In the upper right corner of the main Quicken window there is a Red Q (or White Q if you have dark mode enabled). By clicking on the Q, a menu appears. Select Show in Finder to determine which exact data file is currently open in Quicken.

It may be that what appears to be the first file you opened is in fact a copy of that file with a different name or different location. I may take careful examination of the file name and location (folder path) to discover such a situation.

2) If you hold down the Shift key on the keyboard while launching Quicken, you will get a dialog "Do you want to open "<Quicken Data file name>". If you click the Cancel button in this dialog, Quicken will not open any data file but will instead present you with a dialog to pick a data file or start from scratch.

a) In this dialog, you can click on the button Open Quicken File that appears in the bottom border of the dialog. Or equivalently, you can close this dialog and instead use File > Open... from Quicken's menu bar.

3) You could rename the "first file you opened" so that Quicken cannot open it in place of the file you are trying to open. What are the results if you do this?

And some questions:

a) You said you did a fresh install. Just how clean was this install? Was this a by-the-book clean, using only OS and Application installers, with no use of any configuration data from your old drive?

b) Did you use Migration Assistant?

c) And how did you get the Quicken data files from the old drive to the new?

Just throwing stuff out there hoping that some of it will stick. Or at least we get a better picture of what is going on.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
This discussion has been closed.