How to Eliminate Pop Up Notification At Start of Downloading Bank Transactions

Jay2456
Jay2456 Member ✭✭
When I hit the 'Update' button to download bank transactions, I get a pop up notification that says : "Accounts at American Express for user id (my name) are not enabled correctly and need to be deactivated and reactivated to allow Quicken to property get new transactions. Go to quicken.com\support and search for the FAQ concerning 'EWC-DC Mismatch'."
I followed the instructions to deactivate and reactivate but the results were disastrous. My AMEX account after reactivation had lost most of the categorization and memos for years plus some extraneous transactions showed up incorrectly. So I restored an earlier backup file and do not plan to deactivate and reactivate my account. But I am back to getting this pop message. How do I eliminate the notification?

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Jay2456 said:
    When I hit the 'Update' button to download bank transactions, I get a pop up notification that says : "Accounts at American Express for user id (my name) are not enabled correctly and need to be deactivated and reactivated to allow Quicken to property get new transactions. Go to quicken.com\support and search for the FAQ concerning 'EWC-DC Mismatch'."
    I followed the instructions to deactivate and reactivate but the results were disastrous. My AMEX account after reactivation had lost most of the categorization and memos for years plus some extraneous transactions showed up incorrectly. So I restored an earlier backup file and do not plan to deactivate and reactivate my account. But I am back to getting this pop message. How do I eliminate the notification?
    Hello @Jay2456,  

I am sorry to hear about this issue with the 'mismatch' error message continuing to appear. Thank you for asking us about this on the Quicken Community.

First, check the location of your current active data file by navigating to File > Show this file on my computer in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Make sure that this is not being stored in an external drive or cloud-based storage service, as these locations can cause erratic program behavior and even data damage.

I look forward to hearing back from you, and I hope to work with you further on this issue, if necessary. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Jay2456
    Jay2456 Member ✭✭
    Thanks Jared. I do backup to external cloud and local hard drive but the file in use is on my computer C drive.
  • Quicken Jared
    Jay2456 said:
    Thanks Jared. I do backup to external cloud and local hard drive but the file in use is on my computer C drive.
    Hello @Jay2456

I apologize that this problem is ongoing. Thank you for getting back to me with the answer to my earlier question. 

First, save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen, mentioned in my previous post. Next, follow the instructions provided below, in order:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists. 

If you are still noticing difficulties after you have attempted those recommendations, you may try the following:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    I look forward to hearing back from you after these troubleshooting instructions have been attempted. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Jay2456
    Jay2456 Member ✭✭
    Jared, thank you for the suggestions but neither corrected the unwanted notification pop-up. I am wondering whether the connection method is an issue. I have 2 Amex accounts, one for my wife and myself. One uses the Direct Connect Method and the other uses the Express Web Connect Method. The account with the Direct Connect Method is the one causing the pop-up notification. I tried to switch connection methods for this account to the Express Web Connect but again the results were disastrous: lost most of the categorization and memos for years, so in the end, I restored the old saved file. Thanks for your help.
  • Quicken Jared
    Jay2456 said:
    Jared, thank you for the suggestions but neither corrected the unwanted notification pop-up. I am wondering whether the connection method is an issue. I have 2 Amex accounts, one for my wife and myself. One uses the Direct Connect Method and the other uses the Express Web Connect Method. The account with the Direct Connect Method is the one causing the pop-up notification. I tried to switch connection methods for this account to the Express Web Connect but again the results were disastrous: lost most of the categorization and memos for years, so in the end, I restored the old saved file. Thanks for your help.
    Hello @Jay2456

I am sorry to hear about these issues with notifications continuing to occur. I appreciate that you took the chance to follow up with me about this.

Given the results of previous troubleshooting, and the fact that the Direct Connect connection method seems to be involved, this does appear to be an issue with the Amex servers. I recommend reaching out to their support team as soon as possible. Bear in mind that it may be necessary to request to speak with a 'Tier 2' representative or escalations team, as these individuals are more likely to possess knowledge of third-party software, such as Quicken.

I hope this proves helpful, and feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Jay2456
    Jay2456 Member ✭✭
    Thanks Jared, for your efforts; one last question. What if I closed the Amex account (that uses Direct Connect) in question and then reopened a new account (in Quicken, not Amex) which would be linked to my Amex account. I would set up the Express Web Connect method which seems less problematic.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Jay2456 said:
    One uses the Direct Connect Method and the other uses the Express Web Connect Method. 
    That is exactly what the error message is about. Quicken doesn't like you mixing connect methods with the same financial institution/username.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.