Update from 2004 to 2013 necessary?

qknpj
qknpj Member
I just followed the directions to convert my 2001 to 2004 so that I could install Quicken on a new computer (lost the old CD) and I'm happy with 2004. Is there any reason I need to keep going to 2013? Thanks to all for all the previous help.

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I believe the version of Quicken 2004 Quicken makes available for conversion is a trial period version that will stop working after a period of time.  You should know if this is correct in about a month or so.  The 2013 version on the other hand is known not to be a trial period.  There is also a better chance that Quicken 2013 will stay compatible with newer versions of Windows as they come out.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • qknpj
    qknpj Member
    Oh good to know, thanks.
  • qknpj
    qknpj Member
    I got a new computer and tried to download 2004 and 2013 versions to transfer my data file. Every response was "cannot open selected file." At this point I would start over. What do I do? I cannot lose 20 years of data!
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

You should at least try to convert to the 2013 version since you don’t use any online services or download transactions now.  Then it should run on newer versions of Windows.  Starting in 2014 they instituted an ID password to get into your own data. I’m staying on 2013.

Do you have all the files from 2001?   If your Quicken was before 2010 you should have several files making up the data.  The main data file ends in .QDF.  All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like  - .QDF .IDX, .QEL, .QPH  and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF starting in 2010. 

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• qknpj
    qknpj Member
    I finished the conversion but could not load in the data file on the new computer, despite the patient help of support. Finally I tried again: backed up ONLY the qdf file from the old computer in 2013 and it loaded right in to the 2013 on my new computer. So, so relieved that I don't have to start completely over
This discussion has been closed.