shares purchased change based on "as of date"

David Hurlburt
David Hurlburt Member ✭✭
Hi think I found a bug. I bought a particular fund in 2021. The lot was purchased on 7/2/2021. If I look at the details/normal view (register?) I see that I bought 586.963 shares. If I go to the "Holdings" window, and changed the "as of" date, if I set it to 7/2/2021...I see the 586.963 for that lot. As I merely change the "as of" date, it stays that way until 6/5/2022; on 6/6/2022 the exact, specific lot changes to 557.348 and stays at the number-of-shares up to today's date. I can't imagine what could cause this, but it skews my total performance calculation.

Any suggestions besides obliterating the account? :smile:
Tagged:

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    First off, does the share number agree to the Financial Institution holding the account?  If it does then something happened that you don't have recorded in the Account.
    If you are allowing "automatic entry" of transactions into the Transaction List (official Quicken name for Investment Account "register") is there any chance that a Placeholder sneaked into the list on that date?  Down at the bottom of the Transaction List there's a Placeholder Entries window.  Anything in there?
  • David Hurlburt
    David Hurlburt Member ✭✭
    I don't do automatic entry; I manually enter data into the account register. It's odd that the number for the lot on 7/22/21 changes based on "as of" date of 6/5/2022 and then 6/6/2022. Nothing happened on 6/6/2022 in the register.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried validating your file (file, validate and repair) and then picking the option to rebuild investing lots?

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• @David Hurlburt are there any sales of any kind (for fees?) that posted for this fund since purchase?  If so, depending on what tax lot method you use, this could explain why your share amount would be reduced.  
  • David Hurlburt
    David Hurlburt Member ✭✭
    @Damian: Since I do manual entries and I didn't enter anything like that, I am leaning towards that not being the answer, but...I appreciate the idea. @Bob_L: I have not tried that, ever, so...it scares me a bit. :smile: I'll look into it.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just backup first

• David Hurlburt
    David Hurlburt Member ✭✭
    @Bob_L - Will going down this path make me rebuild ALL investment lots in all the different accounts? And since I do this particular account manually, does this process access/use online synchronization?
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    AFAIK, it affects all accounts and does not involve online.  But there is really no risk if you backup first. It is used to fix corruption which may be your problem.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I merely change the "as of" date, it stays that way until 6/5/2022; on 6/6/2022 the exact, specific lot changes to 557.348 
    I am suspicious that a placeholder got inserted. Make sure your Preference settings for investments includes the Show hidden transactions selection. While placeholders normally come from downloads, they can be manually entered. Then thoroughly examine transactions on 6/6/22. 

This discussion has been closed.