Property Fund Asset Class (Q Mac)

twoaussie
twoaussie Member ✭✭
edited August 2022 in Investing (Mac)
Is there a way to add an asset class to your portfolio - I have a number of property funds and they are all falling in to unclassified on y dashboard

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I don't believe there is any way to add a new asset class, and I don't see an asset class for real estate either. So for now "unclassified" is the best it can do. Hopefully they will add some additional asset classes in the future including real estate.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2022
    While you can't add additional asset classes, you can manually choose how to categorize a holding using the existing asset classes, if that's preferable to you than having it show unclassified.

One of my holdings is a Vanguard REIT fund, which I've always thought of as an investment in real estate. I was surprised that Quicken doesn't show it as unclassified; it's classified as 38% large cap stock and 62% small cap stock. When I click on Security Overview, it shows that while the fund has 99% real estate Sector Allocation, it has a 100% stock Asset Allocation. Quicken doesn't track sector allocations, only asset allocations, so showing this security as a mix of large and small cap stocks is apparently correct, even though I think of it as real estate.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • twoaussie
    twoaussie Member ✭✭
    I would suggest they add EFT's as a type- I have to choose whether to put them either in what they are invested in or in mutual funds or other.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    twoaussie said:
    I would suggest they add EFT's as a type- I have to choose whether to put them either in what they are invested in or in mutual funds or other.
    @twoaussie Yes, they could add EFTs as an addition security type, but it wouldn't change the behavior of anything in Quicken. So I'd just enter them in Quicken as Type=Mutual Fund and ignore the semantics of the differences between mutual funds and EFTs. What wold probably be simplest is if the developers just changed the existing Type from "Mutual Fund" to "Mutual Fund/EFT"
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.