Error importing Windows QDF file into Quicken for Mac

Michael Sayre
Michael Sayre Member ✭✭
I have a rather large Quicken Windows QDF file with 51,599 transactions. I'd like to try out the Mac version of Quicken since VMware will not run on my M1 Macbook. When I attempt to import data from the Windows file into a new Quicken for Mac file, the program hangs up with about 25k transactions remaining. The ConsoleLog.txt file reports:

ERROR: +bestAccountTypeMatchForQXFAccountType: could not find a match for 0

I tried this three times after validating the Quicken for Windows file. Each time ended in the same error.

I am unsure what to try next.

Thanks for any help.

Michael

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    I have a rather large Quicken Windows QDF file with 51,599 transactions. I'd like to try out the Mac version of Quicken since VMware will not run on my M1 Macbook. When I attempt to import data from the Windows file into a new Quicken for Mac file, the program hangs up with about 25k transactions remaining. The ConsoleLog.txt file reports:

ERROR: +bestAccountTypeMatchForQXFAccountType: could not find a match for 0

I tried this three times after validating the Quicken for Windows file. Each time ended in the same error.

Thanks for any help.

Michael
    Hello @Michael Sayre,           

I am sorry to hear about these issues with data file conversion. Thank you for reaching out about this here on the Quicken Community.

To begin with, are you making use of Charles Schwab accounts in online banking services with Quicken for Windows while trying to convert to Quicken for Mac? If so, I recommend saving a backup in the original data file on Windows by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Next, deactivate these accounts from online banking services using the steps listed in this Support Article under Deactivate an account

I hope to hear more from you about your results after attempting this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Michael Sayre
    Michael Sayre Member ✭✭
    Jared,

Thank you for the suggestion. I do have a Schwab account. I made a backup and then deactivated the online banking for the Schwab account in the Quicken for Windows.

Then I attempted another import of the Windows file into Quicken for Mac. The behavior is similar with an error at 25,149 transactions remaining.

The last entry in the ConsoleLog has the same error message as before.

What else could be wrong?

Michael
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Jared,

Thank you for the suggestion. I do have a Schwab account. I made a backup and then deactivated the online banking for the Schwab account in the Quicken for Windows.

Then I attempted another import of the Windows file into Quicken for Mac. The behavior is similar with an error at 25,149 transactions remaining.

The last entry in the ConsoleLog has the same error message as before.

What else could be wrong?

Michael
    Hello @Michael Sayre,           

Thank you for getting back to me about this issue. I am sorry that this problem remains ongoing. 

After reviewing the issue further, it seems probable that the data file size may be of sufficient size to cause these kinds of symptoms. You can read more about data file size and its effects in the Support Article linked here.

I hope that is helpful, and let me know if you have any other questions. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2022
    I disagree that the file size is the issue. I had more than 60,000 transactions when I transferred from the old Quicken 2007, and I've exchanged messages with Quicken Windows users with a similar number of transactions who have converted without a problem. and the limits mentioned by Jared would have already come up in your use of Quicken Windows in the unlikely even you had reached one of those limits. The error message clearly indicates it is having a problem in the conversion with the Account Type for one of the accounts in the Quicken Windows file.

@Michael Sayre Does the log file just prior to the error give you any clue which accounts have been converted and which have not? I'm wondering if there's one account in your Quicken Windows file which has some setting that is making the converter choke. I haven't heard of this before in this forum, but anything is possible. 

A few thoughts if there is no clue about what account is causing the problem. Do you have some accounts hidden? Make a copy of your data file, unhide all accounts and try again. Any difference?

Next, I'd make a few copies of your data file and in the first one, try deleting roughly half of your accounts, validate the file, and try converting again. Does it complete the conversion? If so, one of the accounts you deleted is likely the culprit. Go back to one of the copies of your original file and delete fewer accounts this time, and repeat. Or if the first conversion fails with half the accounts, then go back to that Windows file and delete some more accounts and try again.

This is trial-and-error approach, but hopefully, you can zero in one one particular account which is causing the conversion to fail. If you're lucky, it'll be some old account you don't even care about any more; you can delete it from a copy of your original file and complete the conversion without it. If it's an important account, then I'd look into the setting for the account type to see if you can possibly change it (e.g. checking to savings) to see if it will dislodge whatever is causing the converter to fail.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Michael Sayre
    Michael Sayre Member ✭✭
    @jacobs I will give this a try and get back to the group with what I learn.
  • Michael Sayre
    Michael Sayre Member ✭✭
    edited July 2022
    @jacobs @Quicken Jared

After much time over the past few days, I conclude that the problem is a memory leak during the import of investment transactions.

I followed the steps suggested by @jacobs and unhid many old accounts. I made backups and validated the files as I deleted accounts and tried importing. Each time the import would fail.

Finally, I only had three simple Vanguard investment accounts remaining. To my relief, this small group successfully imported into Quicken for Mac. Yet the original error remained in the log file. The import log reported that the Account with the AccountType of 0 was ignored during the import.

As I tried the process again with a larger number of investment accounts, it succeed until I tried all of my investment accounts. At that point, there were about 3,995 investment transactions.

The import succeeded in the first phase. But when it began the "Preparing to import..." phase, then it began to bog down.

Slowly memory use crept up past 71 GB as the Net Worth value changed. I took the dog for a walk. Upon my return, the 2021 Macbook Pro 14-inch computer with an M1 chip and 16 GB of RAM was exhausted. It reported that Quicken was stopped because its memory use exceeded 96 GB.

Michael
This discussion has been closed.