Removing investment transactions from "uncategorized" reports

Options
Vitali Z Coppersmith
Vitali Z Coppersmith Member ✭✭
edited August 2022 in Reports (Windows)
I have Premier.
When I run a transaction report for uncategorized transactions, a while lost (though not sure if all) of the stock/fund BUY orders from the investment accounts show up in the report (and all showing zero as amounts), just clogging the report.
Since there is no category assignable to stock purchases, how do I get rid of this?

Oddly, only two SELL transactions also show up.
Seems like a glitch, but I already ran validation many times.

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think in a sense it is a glitch, but not in the sense of the programming specs not being followed, not as a 'bug'.  As you noted, no category is assignable to the buys so reporting them as uncategorized is logically correct, but if looking for uncategorized transactions, that is not usually what the user is after -- ergo, glitch.  They could program around it but it has been that way for decades.  

For some reports, you might be able to customize around it by excluding certain actions (Buys and its variations), but that also sort of defeats the purpose of wanting to see the uncategorized transactions.  
  • Vitali Z Coppersmith
    Options
    ok. But then why does it only show 2 sells out the at least dozens I actually have?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ok. But then why does it only show 2 sells out the at least dozens I actually have?
    Perhaps Sold versus SoldX?  The latter is categorized.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The 'Sold' transactions I see in my "Uncategorized" category seem to be all sales for no-gain/no-loss.  Matured bonds, MM funds, etc.  If there is a gain/loss on the sale, part of the sale gets categorized under the _RlzdGain label.  Perhaps that is why some sales show up Uncategorized and others don't.  No proof on that, just my hypothesis at this point. 
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2022
    Options
    @Vitali Z Coppersmith - Here is a way to create an "Uncategorized Report" without investments - 

Run a Banking Transaction report

In the customize report settings - 
    • Display tab - Subtotal by Account, Sort by Account/Date
    • Account tab - choose all accounts
    • Categories tab - clear all categories and then choose only "Not Categorized"
    • Payees tab - choose all payees except "No Payees"
    • Securities tab - clear all securities
    Run the report for any time period.  By subtotaling by Account, you will be able to collapse and expand each account group for easier reading and analysis.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Vitali Z Coppersmith
    If you want Uncategorized investment transactions without the $).00 entries associated with Buys and Sells, I suggest:

Start with a Banking Transactions Report
    • Customize to time frame desired
    • Customize to desired Accounts including Investment accounts as applicable
    • Customize Categories to be only Not Categorized
    • Customize Securities to include all (or any desired subset as applicable).  I prefer to Select securities then specify the select all.
    • Customize via the Advanced tab to include only transactions with amounts NOT EQUAL to 0.00
    Note that before the Advanced tab exclusion, you may have transactions listed with amounts that are not $0.00 but also do not get added into the total.  RtrnCap transactions are one such set I frequently see.  I offer no rational explanation for that behavior, that inclusion.  I also don't think that information is what you are after.  

With this approach, if you have transactions (MiscInc or MiscExp transactions come to mind) for non-zero amounts that are assigned to a security but lack a category, those transactions will be presented.  All the $0.00 clutter will be eliminated.    

HTH

• Vitali Z Coppersmith
    Options
    Yeah, Guess that's sort of a workaround. Sort of. Except that I WANT other zero transactions to chow because if they are not from the buy orders then they are probably an error I want to fix (the reason I'm looking at non-categorized transaction in the 1st place).
    |Thou an error equalizing zero probably isn't such a big deal. Still, they should fix this.
  • Vitali Z Coppersmith
    Vitali Z Coppersmith Member ✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Also I already figured the unselecting securities workaround, but that's not a solution. There may be uncategorized dividend or interest income form securities which I DO want to know about.
    just not the pointless list of But and Sell.
    Throwing out the baby with the bath water is not a solution.

But thank, y'all. [Removed - Speculation]

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.