How to convert QMac 2007 to QMac 2016 - missing conversion program ?

DavidMR
DavidMR Member
I am using Quicken 2007 for Mac (version 16.2.4) and the data is stored in the Quicken Accounts.qdfm file. I also have Quicken 2016 for Mac (Version 3.8.3). Quicken 2016 says that it can start by converting the data from Quicken 2007 for Mac, but that depends on a program that was on Quicken's cloud. Apparently Quicken no longer supports that conversion program on the Quicken cloud.

1. Is there somewhere else that I can find a Quicken 2007 to Quicken 2016 conversion program?

2. Is there some other way that I can convert my data from Quicken 2007 to Quicken 2016?

3. Can you suggest another program for managing my bank accounts and credit card accounts to which I can convert my data from Quicken 2007?

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    2007 was an old program with roots in the 80s/90s. As such, its esoteric file format is highly tied to hardware/OS equipment of those older days.

You aren't going to convert with that unsupported 2016 version. The servers that handle it have been decommissioned.

You didn't mention your current hardware/MacOS options, so I cannot tell you if the current Quicken Mac Subscription version will run. But, that version will convert your 2007 file if you can run the new version. https://www.quicken.com/system-requirements/mac

I am not in a position to suggest alternative programs. 
  • DavidMR
    DavidMR Member
    Until/Unless someone can tell me how I can migrate my data from QMac 2007 to QMac 2016, I'll assume that I'll export a QIF file from QMac 2007 and import it into QMac 2016, and manually enter the data that isn't imported via the QIF file. And if I'm going to do that, I might as well do the import into GnuCash, rather than Quicken.

What information is in the .qdfm file that I won't get in a .qif extract of all the accounts in QMac 2007?
  • John_in_NC
    2007 is the last version of Quicken for Mac that supported data import via QIF. You aren't going to get your data into newer versions that way.

QIF was never a standardized format, hence why it was deprecated. Even conversions between Quicken Mac/Windows versions were problematic.

Your mileage may vary regarding using QIF to other programs. In the past, it was spotty.

• DavidMR
    DavidMR Member
    In response to John_in_NC's question, I'm running QMac 2007 on High Sierra on a late 2009 iMac. I'm in the process of converting to Monterey on a Mac Studio. QMac 2007 does everything that I need, but since it is a 32-bit program I (which isn't supported in Monterey) I need to convert to another financial program. Several years ago, I bought QMac 2016 in preparation for this. I feel that Quicken (the company) cheated me by arbitrarily taking away the conversion facility that I paid for. That prevents me from using QMac 2016 under Monterey.

Quicken (the company) had (and I assume has) a program that migrates the data from QMac 2007 to QMac 2016. For some (presumably, business) reason Quicken decided to hid that program and make it inaccessible to their customers. I might even consider paying extra for access to the conversion program that I already paid for when I bought QMac 2016. The downside of this situation is that I'll have to do manual entry in order to continue using Quicken. The upside is that since they cut away the strings between QMac 2007 and QMac 2016, there isn't much reason for me to bring the data into Quicken rather than another product (such as GnuCash).
  • John_in_NC
    It isn't a simple downloadable "program" that converts your older file, but more servers emulating older PowerPC hardware required to perform the conversion.

2016 was released 7 years ago; you didn't specify why you didn't migrate back when conversions were supported under your existing hardware.

Your new Mac Studio (I am jealous) will run the latest Quicken that will supports conversion of your 2007 file if you go that route. High Sierra will not run the newer versions of Quicken.

Obviously, do what you feel is prudent. 
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @DavidMR I appreciate that you want the old Quicken 2016 program to work the way it did when you bought it, but I think it's a wrong mindset to say Quicken "cheated" you because the program which worked properly 6 or 7 years ago doesn't still work today. While you can use Quicken 2016 manually today, any online functionality — including the converter from Quicken 2007 — was discontinued after the three-year period of support for Quicken 2016 ended. 

So, as John wrote, you can pay to use the current Quicken Mac, which should convert your Quicken 2007 data. But what was once an informal subscription (e.g. the program was supported for three years before becoming manual-only) became a straightforward subscription in 2018. So you have to decide if you want to pay an annual subscription to use Quicken going forward. Several competing products — which the Quicken moderators don't allow discussion of on this forum — have similar monthly or annual subscription pricing; it's the "new normal" for a lot of the software industry. If you determine Quicken isn't worth about $4/month for you, and you find some other product which meets your needs well enough, your direction is clear. If you conclude it would be easier or more satisfying to stay with Quicken, then your direction is clear. For what you just paid for your awesome Mac Studio, is $50/year really a deal-breaker for you to continue with Quicken? I understand you'd find it annoying — but ask yourself if you'd be walking away because the price is unaffordable or not worth it, or because you're just peeved at Quicken. ;) 

I will add one comment about Quicken 2016 versus today's Quicken Mac from the perspective of a longtime former Quicken 2007 user. When the modern Quicken Mac debited with Quicken 2015, I participated in testing it, and I continued to use it on a trial basis for about five years while sticking with Quicken 2007 for my live data. I found a number of features too inadequate for my needs in the early years. I finally switched to modern Quicken Mac a few years ago because I decided that while it was still missing some features I like from Quicken 2007, it met my needs well enough. (And I had experienced some scary problems with the quirky database in Quicken 2007 to remind me I was on borrowed time.) My only point here is that I think the current Quicken Mac stands head and shoulders above Quicken 2016. There have been six additional years of development work, and the improvements are considerable. so even if you weren't dealing with the conversion issue, I wold be recommending you consider the current Quicken Mac simply because it's a much better program than Quicken 2016. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • DavidMR
    DavidMR Member
    Both John_in_NC and jacobs brought up good points. I'm appreciative and I'll think more about what to do. I'm not sure that GnuCash is appropriate for me. I'll probably conduct an experiment with GnuCash to see how easy/difficult migration would be and to see whether its functionality and ease of use suit me..

Based on what jacobs wrote, I can sort of understand Quicken not being willing to continue to support migration from QMac 2007 to QMac 2016. What I can't understand is Quicken hiding the migration program rather than saying "Here is an unsupported migration program. it was last known to work on <state some previously supported software and hardware configuration>, but it is no longer supported. Use it at your own risk."
  • John_in_NC
    edited July 2022
    Howdy, again, DavidMR:

Yes, the conversion in the past was processed with a downloadable program. But, as Apple hardware advanced/OS updates continued, that convertor was in no way able to work on modern hardware/MacOS releases.

Conversions are now a service in which you upload your file, their emulating servers process it, and return it to you in a usable format. There are costs associated with that service, so obviously any business is going to limit it to current revenue customers. 

I hope I don't come off as curt as I am just trying to provide you the factual data. Now, I can't recommend alternatives programs as that will make the Quicken Forum Police sad :-( That said, anything else I tried had a Fischer Price feel to it.

Just bite the bullet and go to the new version of Quicken. It is definitely worth it, and runs circles around 2007 in terms of flexability. It just takes a little getting used to. Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.