Quicken 6.8.1/2 Reporting: Where did column sizing go???

GobisFamily
GobisFamily Member
edited August 2022 in Reports (Mac)
I can no longer size columns on reports to fit the data on many reports. Has the column sizing functionality been changed or deleted? This is irritating to not be able to size columns in order to view the whole data. Is this known? Is there a plan to fix this? And when?
Tagged:

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    If you hover the pointer over the column divider on a report, you can adjust the column width. However, I notice that while double clicking at that point does auto resize the column in a register, it does not do so in reports. Is that what you're referring to? I don't remember whether that worked for reports prior to 6.8.x.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Gilles9
    Gilles9 Windows Beta, Mac Beta Beta
    @GobisFamily

You are right columns cannot be resized in REPORTS
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2022
    That is not correct. Columns CAN be resized in reports. They just can't be auto-resized to the widest content. (This is for QMac 6.8.x)
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Gilles9
    edited July 2022
    See image, there is not vertical bars that can be grabbed to widen the columns
    only the Category column can be widen

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    There is different behavior depending on the type of report:
    • You cannot resize columns in a Comparison report, like the one shown above, because you have no control over what columns there are in the report.
    • In a Summary report, Quicken auto-sizes the Category column to fit the widest category name text; you  can narrow it if you want, but not make it wider than the widest text. And you can't adjust the amount column(s). 
    • If you do a Transaction report, you can resize the columns as you wish, because you have control over which columns to include in the report. 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Gilles9
    Well for "Comparison" reports it is a problem
    as I do not show the numbers below ( privacy reason )
    but many numbers are truncated, in particular for U$ reports as it shows "US$" before the amount/number
    which takes more space
  • jacobs
    Gilles9 said:
    Well for "Comparison" reports it is a problem... but many numbers are truncated, in particular for U$ reports as it shows "US$" before the amount/number, which takes more space
    Yes, I think you or another Canadian user recently posted something about this. I would use Report a Problem to flag it as a bug. I imagine the Quicken programmers and testers didn't try the specific instance of a Canadian user with US$ accounts.

When you use Report a Problem, you will need to show enough data in a screenshot to illustrate the problem. And be sure to specify it is because you are set to Quicken Mac Canada but showing values in reports in US$, because if the triage person who checks out your report doesn't try that exact combination, they won't see the problem and will discard it. 
  • Gilles9
    I'll do it "again"
  • jacobs
    @Gilles9 Alternatively, you could do a call with Quicken Support, ask them to screen share with you, and try to get the representative to document it as a bug or escalate the issue. As you know, submitting it through Report a Problem is a black hole, and you have no idea if they have verified it and put it on their list of bugs to be fixed at some point or if they tried the report in USD, didn't see a problem, and discarded your submission.

The only other alternative is if a MODERATOR reads this thread, verifies the bug, and submits it. If I understand the situation correctly, what's needed is:
    • create a test file with Quicken Mac set to Canada
    • create one accounts with USD and one with CAD
    • enter a few transactions in both accounts with values in the hundreds of thousands or millions
    • generate a comparison report
    • verify that the dollar amounts with "US$" appended are truncated 
    It seems there are two possible ways for the developers to solve this problem: (1) Modify the code to check to see if a currency designation (like US$) exists, and to auto-widen the column when that exists, or (2) Make all the column widths on comparison and summary reports adjustable, as they are on transaction reports.
  • Gilles9
    There is a problem with the USD$ and CAD$ for many years with portfolios
    I filed many detailed reports and nothing was ever done
    So I tend to think it is not very important for Quicken
    Their main users are US and few use nultiple currencies I suppose

And I never had much success with calling support, it unsually ends up "we will escalate the problem" then silence....

Your option 2 would be the simpliest for Quicken I would think

Maybe they'll read this thread

Subject closed for me at this point, reports were made

Thanks for trying to help
  • jacobs
    Gilles9 said:
    Maybe they'll read this thread
    Unless one of the moderators here reads this, tests it as I described above, and documents it as a bug, then no, no one from Quicken will read it.  :'(
  • Gilles9
    Fixed, columns width can now include/show all amounts in USD$ even with the US$ prefix to numbers
This discussion has been closed.