Report by Tags ?

Oklahoma Engineer
Oklahoma Engineer Member
edited August 2022 in Reports (Windows)
OK ... I've used Old Quicken (2003) for 18 years ... because it works so well. All this time I've used Class as "SubAccount" .... e.g. I break a checking Account into three Classes ... say Budget, Discretionary, and Special. In this manner, obviously, I could "multi-thread" one checking account for multiple useful purposes. And I could easily report Balances by Class. Very useful. So .. now I'm trying to upgrade to the current release of Quicken. And I'm trying to use "Tag" to do the same thing, but so far, can't figure how to get a similar report. Doco says "Tag" is just like "Class" ... what do you say?

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a standard Itemized Tags report:  Reports > Spending > Itemized Tags.  Once you pull up the report you can customize it by clicking on the Gear icon at the top right of the report. 
    Is this what you are looking for?  If not, do you have an example of a Class report you can take a snapshot of and post it here so we can see what you are looking for?  (You can black out any confidential information.  When you take the snapshot, save the file and then click/drag it to your reply.)

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Well, I definitely appreciate the reply! It's looking like the problem is that I can't customize the Account Balances Report to break down the balance in components by Tag (Classes). Here's a pic .. attached JPG file .... (from my still-active Quicken 2003 software) of the report/data that I'm trying to replicate in Modern Quicken. Sigh .... of course it's very possible that I just haven't found the right knob to turn ....
  • Boatnmaniac
    The closest thing I could come up with that looks like maybe it would be something that you would find helpful is the Banking > Transaction report.  You can customize the report to subtotal by Tag.  You might want to take a look at that report if you have not already done so.

• Well ... thanks, but I'm giving up on this. Just don't thing it's gonna do what I've counted on for over 20 years. A shame ... I did leave a detailed problem report with Quicken management .... no response yet. It's truly unusual for a software vendor to remove (or not continue) a Feature. I suppose I'll use Quicken 2003 till it quits working with some future Windows release. 2003 has bugs for sure, but none I can't work around. And of course, I can't migrate my data to a current release anyway. Knew that going in. Again, I appreciate your good faith attempts to assist with this! All the best, Tom in SE Oklahoma.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you consider the Banking > Cash flow by Tag report.

Select the date range you want and Don't Subtotal for the columns. Click on the gear to customize and in the Row dropdown, select Tag. The heading for the rows even says "Class Description", perhaps a carry-over from when Tags replaced Classes. 

QWin Premier subscription
  • Boatnmaniac
    Well ... thanks, but I'm giving up on this. Just don't thing it's gonna do what I've counted on for over 20 years. A shame ... I did leave a detailed problem report with Quicken management .... no response yet. It's truly unusual for a software vendor to remove (or not continue) a Feature. I suppose I'll use Quicken 2003 till it quits working with some future Windows release. 2003 has bugs for sure, but none I can't work around. And of course, I can't migrate my data to a current release anyway. Knew that going in. Again, I appreciate your good faith attempts to assist with this! All the best, Tom in SE Oklahoma.
    You should be able to upgrade from 2003 and retain all of your data but will need to first upgrade to 2004 Deluxe and then upgrade to 2013 Deluxe.  After you complete upgrading to 2013 you can then upgrade to the current subscription version but if you are happy with manually managing your Quicken accounts you might want to consider staying with 2013 or if you can find a copy of 2016 or 2017 (the last 2 years of pre-subscription Quicken) you might want to consider upgrading to one of them.
    FYI:  I don't know if any of these upgrade versions has the reporting capability you want.  But if you want to retain all of your historical data you might want to consider upgrading to at least 2013 sooner rather than later.
    If you want to read more about the upgrade/conversion process and how to download 2004 Deluxe and 2013 Deluxe for free:  https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken.

• Huge thanks to both you guys! You put me on to an actual solution (finally ... yeah, I'm slow). And it's simple ... just well hidden. Go to Report, Net Worth/Acct Balances group, Acct Balances ... Customize, then check "Account Detail" on the Display segment. (And pick the Account, Date Range, etc.) ... Voila ... its displays the Account Balance by Tag/Class. Works ... Saved Report! That just wasn't obvious to me ... (again ... slow). But, at least for me, that's a valuable Feature ... to be able to multi-thread a single checking account, and having the ability to review the "subaccount" (aka Class, aka Tag) balances.
    OK ... so I'm going from there. Much appreciated :-)
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you take a careful look at the Account Balances report to see if it is what you want. It looks like it is reporting everything you have ever spent or deposited on the selected Tags, not over the selected date range. The Cash Flow by Tag report may be more what you are looking for.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Boatnmaniac
    You are welcome.  Glad to hear that you found a way to get the report you want.

• Will scrutinize ... thanks Jim. But actually, the final, current "subaccount" balance is exactly what I want 99% of the time. Selecting a cash flow total over a date range is probably useful too, but not my main concern. Again ... thanks to all!
This discussion has been closed.