Vanguard account not downloading

I've used Quicken for several years and regularly download investment accounts into the Quicken account. For the past week I haven't been able to download accounts from Vanguard. This is happening on multiple computers and in multiple quicken files. I can't reset the download but Quicken won't do that. I've also tried deactivating the download and trying to re-activate it, but Quicken can't connect. I don't have any problems opening the Vanguard accounts online.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What error message if any do you get when the Vanguard download fails?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • mikejuby369
    mikejuby369 Member ✭✭
    When I try to activate accounts I've deactivated, I get a message that "Quicken is having trouble connecting to Vanguard: QCS-439A - Please try again tomorrow."

When I try to download transactions into accounts I haven't deactivated, I get a message "Your financial institution has rejected your request. Additional information from Vanguard: WCA-429A - Please try again tomorrow."

Again, these errors have continued for the past week. I've tried them on a daily basis.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @mikejuby369

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize in the issue you're having. That is odd I'm wondering where exactly the issue is. I believe in this case it might help trying to see on a test file if we have a similar issue. This will give us a better idea of where exactly the issue is. I'll leave steps down below and you can find it on the third step on the article.

https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

Once you get the chance let us know what you're able to find out. From there we'll see what we're able to do next.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• mikejuby369
    mikejuby369 Member ✭✭
    I created a test file and chose to add an account in the blank file. I selected Vanguard and entered the username and password of one of the Vanguard accounts. I received an error message from Quicken (see attached). I also tried logging in thru the Vanguard website using the same username and password and had no problems.
  • Quicken Francisco
    @mikejuby369

Thanks for the update. That is interesting you're getting the same error from a test file. This means our error is directly coming from the Vanguard server. I'm wondering here if something on the website might need to be enabled for us to download even though it previously worked.

I would recommend checking the website to see if there's something along the lines of enabling third party software support or external program downloads. Generally you'll find these settings in the settings menu on the website.

Once you get the chance to check please let us know if you're able to find any additional information.

Thanks
    Quicken Francisco
  • mikejuby369
    mikejuby369 Member ✭✭
    I've had other investment accounts that required authorization on the website, so I looked for something on the Vanguard website that might require this. I've been updating Vanguard transactions for over 20 years, but I thought something might have changed on their side. I wasn't able to find anything that would establish authorization but I did find a download option. However, I would much prefer to continue to download the activity using the One Step Update in Quicken, as I was able to do until about a week ago.
  • Quicken Francisco
    @mikejuby369

Thank you for the photo. We're looking for two things here that could potentially cause the issue. To start off could you submit your logs for us. We're wondering if this error might be a similar issue to the OL293's that some users have experienced with Vanguard. You can do this by going across the top to help > report a problem (please include all logs it should be selected by default).

Second thing is I would recommend contacting Vanguard as well to see if they may have more information regarding the error as we are trying to connect to their servers. If there is a block they may have more information and ways to resolve the error. 

Once you're able to get a chance to talk to Vanguard please let us know if you're able to find out any new information.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • JayF
    JayF Member ✭✭
    edited July 2022
    @mikejuby369 would you happen to remember how you resolved this. I'm having the same issue a year later, and can't find any helpful suggestions. I upgraded to latest version R42.19, created empty test.qdf file, tried adding my Vanguard accounts and immediately get "Sorry, We encountered an error. (It's not your fault). Quicken is having trouble connecting to Vanguard. An additional message from Vanguard: QCS-429A - Please try again tomorrow. I've been having this issue since 07/28/2022 around 2pm Mountain Time.
  • mikejuby369
    mikejuby369 Member ✭✭
    JayF, as best I can recall the problem ultimately resolved itself. I reach out to Vanguard but don't think they had a good answer. I kept using the Download option on the Vanguard site, but periodically would try to use the One Step Update in Quicken. Initially I would find One Step Update working, then a few days later it wouldn't be working. Ultimately it resumed working reliably and has been doing so for several months now. Wish I could give you something more specific than that, and hope you can get a resolution. It took a few months before it finally worked out for me.
  • JayF
    JayF Member ✭✭
    @mikejuby369, thanks for letting me know. I'll keep trying One-Step Update every couple of days and see if anything changes.