My hard drive crashed - Can I reinstall using my synced data ?

Options
mtkrieger
mtkrieger Member
My hard drive crashed, data is unrecoverable. I did not realize that sync and backup of data are (I believe) different. If I reinstall quicken on my new desktop, can I use the synced data or is my data unavailable now as I did not back it up?

Best Answer

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thank you for your response.

Since starting a new data file would also create a new and separate cloud account, it would not affect the previous data that was synced from a different data file. However, the old data would only be accessible via the Quicken Mobile app and/or the Quicken on the Web app.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Options
    Hello @mtkrieger,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question, though I am sorry to hear about the trouble you have experienced.

Unfortunately, data synced to the Quicken Cloud cannot be pulled into a new data file. The only way to restore data loss would be through restoring a backup file.

For more information about the Quicken Cloud, I recommend reviewing this support article.

I do apologize for not having better news to share with you!

-Quicken Anja

• mtkrieger
    mtkrieger Member
    Options
    Understood. However, I can access the Quicken Cloud data, would like to continue to do so in the future, after I reinstall a desktop version. In other words, once I start to use the new desktop version, and sync it to the cloud, will that sync override and "wipe out" my historical data?
  • Quicken Anja
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thank you for your response.

Since starting a new data file would also create a new and separate cloud account, it would not affect the previous data that was synced from a different data file. However, the old data would only be accessible via the Quicken Mobile app and/or the Quicken on the Web app.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What about everything else on the hard disk ? 
    So, you don’t have any kind of backup and lost  everything 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    just to clarify - when you enable and use Quicken Cloud and Sync - the Quicken QDF desktop file creates an entry in the Quicken Cloud and the two are "linked" with an internal identifier.  That is what is used to keep things in Sync.
    SO.... you can continue to see your "past history" when using Mobile App or Quicken Web - but nothing else exists that is still Synced - and creating a new desktop file has no way to re-connect with the previous Synced Quicken Cloud data "identifier" - so you can only create a NEW and empty Synced relationship.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It is of utmost importance that you also always backup to a personal external source such as an USB or external ssd drive, I even do so on an external HDD drive. You can also choose to install a second HDD or SDD internal drive for backup inside your desktop if that is what you are using.

For data security reasons, Quicken does not backup copies of your data files that are available for restore use. This is for your data file security

There may be 3rd party computer service organization that may be able to pull your data file from your defunct hard drive, but at best that is a very remote possibility. You may have just lost any backup. Follow closely the information that others on the community have provided for possible restore possibilities. These guys helping you are wizards, know quicken inside and out and if restoring you file is possible thwy will know how to do it.

To other community members: can that data file be pulled by a PC expert off a broken drive?
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mtkrieger said:
    My hard drive crashed, data is unrecoverable. I did not realize that sync and backup of data are (I believe) different. If I reinstall quicken on my new desktop, can I use the synced data or is my data unavailable now as I did not back it up?

Synced data is not a backup. It can't be restored.

Manual Backups backed up to the same partition, aren't a true back up.

To recover the data on your bad hard drive will cost you.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

This discussion has been closed.