Unchecked Categories Keep Reappearing in a Report

Pat Sills
Pat Sills Member ✭✭
edited September 2022 in Reports (Windows)
Hi,
I'm having the strangest problem. I create a cash flow report with thousands of income and expense transactions going back twenty years and across multiple accounts. The report generates and displays - fine so far. Now I see a number of categories I don't want in the report so I click the gear icon in the report, uncheck the unwanted categories, save and close the report. Now I reopen the report and several of the unchecked categories have reappeared and are checked! So I again uncheck these categories, save and close. Reopen again and several other unchecked categories have reappeared! I tried this several times and have given up; the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

I have not experienced this problem when dealing with a smaller dataset over fewer years.

Can anybody help?

Thanks,
Ken

Comments

• Pat Sills
    Pat Sills Member ✭✭
    I should add that the problem categories that keep misbehaving are all in "hidden" accounts. I see some reports of similar problems with "hidden" accounts. I wonder if this is the same problem?

Some of my accounts are "hidden" because the accounts are closed. That doesn't mean that I don't want to continue to access their transactions in reporting.
  • Pat Sills
    Pat Sills Member ✭✭
    Also, I am running the very latest subscription Quicken for Windows.
  • Pat Sills
    Pat Sills Member ✭✭
    I unhid my hidden categories. No change to problem. Problem description can be described more simply: Scroll down categories list in report and uncheck categories that I do not want to see in report. Scroll back up and recently unchecked categories have now rechecked! Serious bug!
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You first commented about hidden accounts, then commented about unhiding categories.  Are both involved- categories and accounts? 
     Also curious how many categories you have. Help - shift-click in About Quicken to get that number. 
  • Pat Sills
    Pat Sills Member ✭✭
    The problem is with categories, not accounts. I thought hidden accounts may be involved but experimentation showed that not to be true.
    I attached the help-shift-click report here. I have 720 categories. Many of these are the categories that come with Quicken that I don't use.
  • Pat Sills
    Pat Sills Member ✭✭
    I figured it out!! I had some categories classed as hidden. Not sure how they got that way because I don't know what a hidden category means. In any case, if I try to uncheck a hidden category in a report it acts flaky and rechecks itself. Solution: unhide all categories. Now unchecked categories stay that way and everything works properly.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pat Sills said:
    I figured it out!! I had some categories classed as hidden. Not sure how they got that way because I don't know what a hidden category means. In any case, if I try to uncheck a hidden category in a report it acts flaky and rechecks itself. Solution: unhide all categories. Now unchecked categories stay that way and everything works properly.

Good find!

Were the hidden categories ones that are used by any of your transactions, or are they unused? I have some hidden categories but they are all unused, so it would not hurt if they were selected in a report.

Note that the special investing Categories that begin with underscores (_) are hidden by default, so this may cause issues if they get checked when you do not want them to be. 
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.