Assign a Payee to a Category

Options
harleymon
harleymon Member ✭✭
How do I setup a Category that when I download my bank statement it AUTOMATICALLY assigns that category to the Payee?

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    harleymon said:
    How do I setup a Category that when I download my bank statement it AUTOMATICALLY assigns that category to the Payee?
    Hello @harleymon

Thank you for asking about the software's automatic categorization features here on the Quicken Community.

To be clear, you should be able to save category information - along with other frequently used transaction data - using the Memorized Payee List. You can set up Memorized Payees using the information provided below, although it is best to save a backup by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen, first:

Payees can be added manually:

1. Click on Tools on the top menu bar, then select Memorized Payee List.
    2. Click New Payee.
    3. In the Create Memorized Payee dialog, enter the payee information.
    4. Click OK.
    5. Repeat steps 2 through 4 for each memorized payee you want to add.

New payees are also added when you create new transactions in the account register. You can turn off the auto-memorizing of new payees in the Quicken Preferences.

1. Select Edit menu > Preferences.
    2. In the left pane, select Data entry and QuickFill.
    3. Click to clear the Automatically memorize new payees checkbox, and then click OK

After a payee is added to the list, you can use the memorized information when entering transactions in the register.
    1. Open the account register you want to make an entry in and click in the Payee field. The Payee list will appear.
    2. In the Payee list, select a payee. You can also click Memorized Payee List at the bottom of the list.
    3. In the Memorized Payee List, right-click the name of the payee you want and select Use.

You can also edit payees after they have been added to the Memorized Payee List.

1. Choose Tools menu > Memorized Payee List.
    2. Select the payee to edit.
      Note: If the Lock option is checked in, click the checkbox to clear it. If you cannot see the locked status column, click Options at the bottom left of the Memorized Payee List and select Show locked status column in list.
    3. Click Edit.
    4. In the Edit Memorized Payee dialog, edit the payee information, and then click OK.
    5. Repeat steps 2 through 4 for each memorized payee you want to edit.
    I hope that is helpful, and let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

You can view more about these steps in the Support Article linked here

I hope that is helpful. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.