What happens to data synced to web/mobile once sync is turned off?

Dorothy H
Dorothy H Member ✭✭✭
I have always kept quicken data only on home computer. While working with Quicken support regarding a download issue, representative instructed to sync data to web/mobile as first step to resolve and I did it. In the end, sync was not needed to resolve issue and I have turned it off.

My question/concern is this - my data was synced and now it is out there. Even though sync is now off and can't be viewed via "Quicken on the Web," it is still somewhere. Is there anything else that can be done to ensure data is inaccessible? How much of a concern is this?

Best Answer

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    How much of a concern this is really is up to you. I personally wouldn't worry.

You didn't detail about what was "synced," but even if you synced all your accounts, only a small subset of transactions get uploaded. It isn't like your entire data file is now in "Quicken on the Web." Moreover, that synced data can't be restored to a computer even if you wanted to-it only compliments and is usable with what is on your computer.

That said, keep in mind all your financial data is on the web even if you don't use programs such as Quicken. Nearly all banks have online access-so your data was on the web long before you ever touched Quicken.

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    How much of a concern this is really is up to you. I personally wouldn't worry.

You didn't detail about what was "synced," but even if you synced all your accounts, only a small subset of transactions get uploaded. It isn't like your entire data file is now in "Quicken on the Web." Moreover, that synced data can't be restored to a computer even if you wanted to-it only compliments and is usable with what is on your computer.

That said, keep in mind all your financial data is on the web even if you don't use programs such as Quicken. Nearly all banks have online access-so your data was on the web long before you ever touched Quicken.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    If you click on the Reset button in Preferences > Connected Services, it will delete the synced data you uploaded to the cloud. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.