Getting data from web to Mac

Options
CLantz
CLantz Member
So it would appear that I messed up. I had the desktop version and was working on getting familiar with it, but gave up at the time. Decided to try it via the web and liked it a lot more and put forth the effort of getting used to using Quicken, which I did, but realized there are things you can do with the desktop version that you can not do on the web based version. Somewhere in between, I must have deleted Quicken off of my computer completely, including the data file. Now it looks like I am stuck with a bunch of data on the web version, that I can not download/sync to the desktop. Someone please tell me there is a way around this! It seems like there should be a very simple solution but I haven't found it yet!
Thanks

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    You won't be able to restore your web data to a new Quicken data file. 

Now that I delivered the bad news, there might be a glimmer of hope: Even if you deleted Quicken, that doesn't necessarily mean your data file was also deleted. Unless you completely wiped your Mac or deleted your user account, then your data file likely still exists. It is purposely hidden away where average users can't access it.

It sounds like you have reinstalled Quicken. If you haven't tampered with your Mac much, I can post where to access your old file. Time Machine would also have it.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    There is also a hidden feature to create a new data file from a Quicken cloud data file... but the feature is labeled has been labeled as "beta" for a long time and most users who have tried it report it hasn't worked for them. You can try it by selecting File > New while holding the Command key; this adds a "Start from Quicken Cloud Account" option at the bottom of the screen. You can give it a try.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • CLantz
    CLantz Member
    Options
    jacobs, I have tried this in both the web and desktop with not luck.
    john_in_nc yes, that is pretty much what I did. Please let me know where to look for the data file! Thanks
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @CLantz The default location for a Quicken data file, unless you move it is in User > Library > Application Support > Quicken > Documents. To get to your user Library folder, which Apple hides by default, in the Finder hold the Option key while pulling down the Go menu; Library will be in the menu as long as the Option key is held down. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • CLantz
    CLantz Member
    Options
    The Quicken support dude that I spoke to walked me through that, but all that I found was a new file that was installed when I reinstalled Quicken, which shows up on my web account. I can see two data folders on my web account that I can switch between, but the data file in my web account with all of the saved data does not show up on my computer. Still digging and going to try some file recovery apps
  • CLantz
    CLantz Member
    Options
    I have searched and tried several file recovery apps with no luck. It's like the data file never existed on my desktop. It seems like it should be an easy thing to do, to sync the desktop to the web data, but alas, it is not. Looks like I will have to spend some time rebuilding and reentering information using a new data file.
    Lucky me. Lesson learned!
This discussion has been closed.