Is there any way of importing an ancient MS Money file?

Options
David7
David7 Member ✭✭
MS Money died years ago, but I still have old files. I recently received a class action letter about something that happened in 2001. That's before I switched to Quicken.

All the things I've found in search deal with still having Money and older versions of Quicken. Is there the proverbial snowball's chance in hell that I can find a way to open those old files in Quicken?

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    If your MS Money file was last saved with the last version of MS Money or with the MS Money Sunset edition you should be able to import it and convert it into a Quicken file.  You might want to read this Support Article:  https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-importconvert-my-microsoft-money-work-quicken-windows.
    You will note a warning in that Support Article cautioning people not to use the process because MS Money was not designed to run on Windows 10/11.  But I have Windows 10 installed and just last month I was able to open and view my MS Money file in MS Money Deluxe Sunset.  I then subsequently imported and installed it into a Quicken file so I think it should work for you, too. 
    When converting the MS Money file Quicken will prompt you to create a new Quicken data file.  Be sure to give it a unique name so it does not overwrite your main data file.
    Let me know if it worked for you.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• Boatnmaniac
    Options
    Sorry, I thought you had Money already installed.  MS no longer supports downloads for any of the MS Money Plus Sunset versions but it looks like you can still download MS Money Plus Sunset Deluxe from CNET: https://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-Money-Plus-Sunset-Deluxe/3000-2057_4-77545178.html.  That is the version I have installed on my laptop.
    Once you download and install the MS Money program, be sure to open your MS Money file with it, then save it and close MS Money.  You should be able to import/convert it after that via the steps in the Support Article.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Options
    If your MS Money file was last saved with the last version of MS Money or with the MS Money Sunset edition you should be able to import it and convert it into a Quicken file.  You might want to read this Support Article:  https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-importconvert-my-microsoft-money-work-quicken-windows.
    You will note a warning in that Support Article cautioning people not to use the process because MS Money was not designed to run on Windows 10/11.  But I have Windows 10 installed and just last month I was able to open and view my MS Money file in MS Money Deluxe Sunset.  I then subsequently imported and installed it into a Quicken file so I think it should work for you, too. 
    When converting the MS Money file Quicken will prompt you to create a new Quicken data file.  Be sure to give it a unique name so it does not overwrite your main data file.
    Let me know if it worked for you.

• David7
    David7 Member ✭✭
    Options
    When I went to that link, it said I needed to install a copy of Money. The link it provides returns a 404.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Options
    Sorry, I thought you had Money already installed.  MS no longer supports downloads for any of the MS Money Plus Sunset versions but it looks like you can still download MS Money Plus Sunset Deluxe from CNET: https://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-Money-Plus-Sunset-Deluxe/3000-2057_4-77545178.html.  That is the version I have installed on my laptop.
    Once you download and install the MS Money program, be sure to open your MS Money file with it, then save it and close MS Money.  You should be able to import/convert it after that via the steps in the Support Article.

This discussion has been closed.