Does Quicken Deluxe allow for changing FX / exchange rates?

Mike23
Mike23 Member ✭✭
When I go to Currency List, I only see one FX rate; however, I've seen reference in the forums to historical FX rates. Is that available in Deluxe? Thanks
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Here are the restrictions I know of in reference to the currency exchange rates.

• Quicken US Starter has no support for multiple currencies (I'm not sure if Quicken Canadian Starter has support for multiple currencies or not, but I suspect it does).
    • Quicken US Deluxe has support for multiple currencies, but has no downloading of the currency exchange rates.
    • Quicken US Premier and above adds the ability to download the current exchanges rates, but no Quicken US version supports historical rates.
    • Quicken US versions can change the home currency.  This is the currency used for a lot of the main views in Quicken.  Quicken Canadian doesn't have the ability to change the home currency it is locked into CAD or if your data file came from a US version it is locked to whatever it was at the time you changed over to the Canadian version (loading the data file in a US version would allow changing it again).
    • Quicken Canadian can import QFX files that are from different currencies.  Quicken US blocks importing of QFX files that are anything but USD.  It seems to be similar with Express Web Connect, but in that case most of the time it results in Quicken changing the currency of the account from say USD to CAD because the information is coded as CAD not USD.
    Quicken Canadian currency preferences (No setting for multiple currencies because it is locked on.  They needed that because the code started as US and just to have the currency as CAD they just forced multiple currency on.  This the reason I think it is on in the Canadian Starter edition, but I don't have the edition to check.)

Quicken US preferences:

Quicken Canadian Currency List dialog:

Quicken US Currency List dialog:

I don't know all the details of how that currency history is used in Quicken Canadian because I don't use it or have Canadian accounts, but it does seem to make use of it.  From the comments I have seen on here it is much better than Quicken US, but still has some problem areas.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which country version of Quicken are you using? US or Canada?
    The US version, in the Currency List, only maintains the current exchange rate as set by the last transaction you entered or the last download of exchange rates.
    The Canadian version is supposed to maintain a history of exchange rates, together with each transaction. Someone more familiar with the Canadian version should be able to explain that better than I can.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Here are the restrictions I know of in reference to the currency exchange rates.

• Quicken US Starter has no support for multiple currencies (I'm not sure if Quicken Canadian Starter has support for multiple currencies or not, but I suspect it does).
    • Quicken US Deluxe has support for multiple currencies, but has no downloading of the currency exchange rates.
    • Quicken US Premier and above adds the ability to download the current exchanges rates, but no Quicken US version supports historical rates.
    • Quicken US versions can change the home currency.  This is the currency used for a lot of the main views in Quicken.  Quicken Canadian doesn't have the ability to change the home currency it is locked into CAD or if your data file came from a US version it is locked to whatever it was at the time you changed over to the Canadian version (loading the data file in a US version would allow changing it again).
    • Quicken Canadian can import QFX files that are from different currencies.  Quicken US blocks importing of QFX files that are anything but USD.  It seems to be similar with Express Web Connect, but in that case most of the time it results in Quicken changing the currency of the account from say USD to CAD because the information is coded as CAD not USD.
    Quicken Canadian currency preferences (No setting for multiple currencies because it is locked on.  They needed that because the code started as US and just to have the currency as CAD they just forced multiple currency on.  This the reason I think it is on in the Canadian Starter edition, but I don't have the edition to check.)

Quicken US preferences:

Quicken Canadian Currency List dialog:

Quicken US Currency List dialog:

I don't know all the details of how that currency history is used in Quicken Canadian because I don't use it or have Canadian accounts, but it does seem to make use of it.  From the comments I have seen on here it is much better than Quicken US, but still has some problem areas.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Mike23
    Mike23 Member ✭✭
    Thanks. I'm using USA Deluxe. I'm guessing the references to historical rates I saw was the Canadian version (hence the confusion). Would definitely be helpful to have a more robust currency functionality in the USA version for those of us who deal in various currencies.
This discussion has been closed.