Migrating Quicken 2017 (exe/data) to Windows 11 computer

val5000
val5000 Member
I migrated app and data to Windows 11 computer and am unable to open a QDATA file or restore backup into Quicken 2017. (Restore not available as menu option, just NEW, OPEN, and FILE OPS.) Total fail. Instructions needed. This is not a monthly paid, but one-time purchase. Still works on old computer (might have to export and start over with another app).
Tagged:

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you download/install the Quicken 2017 20.5 Mondo patch?

Quicken 2017 Patches - QuicknPerlWiz
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • val5000
    val5000 Member
    No, I haven't. Is this the fix?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    You need to update to the latest release of Quicken 2017.
  • val5000
    val5000 Member
    Home & Business R20.6 Build 26.1.20.6. I can actually get a "flicker" of the file on restoring the last known good backup, but it then disappears. Does this Mondo 20.5 patch fix that?
  • val5000
    val5000 Member
    By the way, I installed Quicken's Mondo Patch Update--didn't work. Then, I reinstalled the Quicken 2017 app per their procedures--also didn't work. Called Quicken and they wanted me to buy Quicken 2022. I told them I wouldn't buy any Quicken product now that my data is only available on my other computer. So, on to exporting my data....
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Quicken 2017 is no longer supported. How are you installing Quicken 2017 and where are you getting the build information from? Have you tried starting Quicken holding down the Shift key which doesn't open a data file?
  • val5000
    val5000 Member
    I installed it the same way I installed it on my older Windows 10 computer, using the same executable file copied over from the old computer (where the application actually works). Even without opening a data file, it's clear that it's disabled because it makes unavailable basic app tools like updates. It reverts to the same message to contact "Support". I've already exported all my basic data (Reports) from the old computer and into Excel and uninstalled Quicken 2017. I think it's hitting a Quicken server from my new computer which has disabled it.
  • val5000
    val5000 Member
    BTW, forgot to mention that I used the Mondo patch available at the Quicken site, but could try your latest Mondo patch.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    val5000 said:
    BTW, forgot to mention that I used the Mondo patch available at the Quicken site, but could try your latest Mondo patch.
    Just to be clear about this.  At this time Quicken 2017 will download R20.6 as part of the install, but they never made a manual install/Mondo install for it.

My site with the patches isn't the "Quicken site".  I'm simply making the older patches available on it for the very reason that Quicken Inc isn't.  In reality you can get most of the older Quicken Subscription patches from here, which is an official Quicken Inc site:
    Reinstalling and patching your Quicken Subscription version after your membership has expired | Quicken

But they don't make Quicken 2017 and older patches available.

Installing an older patch for Quicken 2017 doesn't fix the login/registration problem.  This is a new problem with the login screen.  See the thread I referenced in my last comment for the details and possible workaround.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • val5000
    val5000 Member
    I don't mean to be gloomy about Quicken 2017 or discredit all the creative hacks--from temporarily disabling the network adapter to copying the config folder over to the new system--but Quicken 2017 is at "end of life" and is no longer in the Quicken production cycle. It's a little disconcerting that Quicken cripples the data on migration. Even if they have no intention of supporting Quicken 2017, they should've made the data available to those customers who paid for the software. Instead, it hits a firewall, notifying the customer to contact Support, who in turn offer a monthly subscription at a discount. Export your data from the old system (using Quicken Reports) into Excel-compatible text, then copy that to the new system. You can even make a PDF. Sure, you can copy the Quicken backup files, but it won't do much good without a new subscription.
This discussion has been closed.