Budget Disappeared.

Options

Answers

• mobleyw
    mobleyw Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Perspective: I see little difference in the budget disappearance issue by installing all recommended new versions and updates. It seemed originally that the budget disappeared with "Restores" and was generally associated with seeing the backup to cloud sequence after attempting to restore after loss. Recovery of the budget with previous backups seems random.
    Today's experience: after downloading a couple of banking transactions and updating a couple of accounts I did a routine backup, only to be notified that the budget was lost again. I went back and tried to restore 4 previous backups over the last couple of days without success. Every unsuccessful Restore attempt was accompanied by the cloud backup sequence. Because it had worked before, I switched off my wifi to avoid any cloud backup. I then Restored the last file backup from this AM = the first one where I was notified that the budget had disappeared, and "magically" the budget has now reappeared. I have therefore lost nothing except 30 minutes of failed restore attempts and finally a successful restore with all recent transactions and budget intact.
    Quicken has the impression this is not associated with the cloud backup sequence. My superficial observations suggest it might be... I may try disconnecting with wifi during all Quicken backups and Restores and see what happens. Any suggestions?
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm on 43.14  now under Windows 11.   
    No improvement.   Budget Disappears regularly. 
    Here is what I'm doing that makes a difference.  100% Validation before opening QDF.

Select a Quicken file to open.
    When asked for my  data file file password, Cancel.
    Cancel from the file selection screen
    File - Validate and Repair 
    Check  Validate File
    Check Rebuild Investing lots
    Browse and select the QDF I originally wanted to use.  Open, OK
    enter QDF password file 
    Let it run , during the run I see my budget screen flash up (I have it set as my opening page ) .  Validation completes with no errors other than warning about future dated transaction and possible stock splits.

I have verified, by making multiple copies of the QDF file that if I open the file directly budget is lost.  If I do this validation open process then I'm OK. 

If I close quicken, right after opening the good validated file then then reopen it, sometimes it has budget, sometimes not. 

So this is my Q experience, 100% pre-validation every time I want to use Q. 

Quicken for Windows since 1995
    Frequently loosing budgets since 2017
    Occasionally loosing budgest since 2012
  • mobleyw
    mobleyw Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks to lowcarbNY. I will try this sequence.
  • scbydodad
    scbydodad Member
    Options
    I lost all of my budget data after the last update (R43.14)
  • mobleyw
    mobleyw Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    To LowcarbNY: I either misunderstand or at least I am unable to get to the Validate and Repair menu under File until/after I open the Quicken file. I have turned off the password requirement in preferences so that there is no option to cancel, etc. Are you able to "validate and repair" a selected Quicken data file without and before opening it? Thank you.
  • mobleyw
    mobleyw Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Examining my budget this AM... and decided to go back and look at my Home screen. Pushed that tab and immediately get the popup that this file has no budget - while the budget is showing - before opening the home screen. So frustrating. Now going back to find a file which will show the budget. see the image.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    mobleyw said:
    To LowcarbNY: I either misunderstand or at least I am unable to get to the Validate and Repair menu under File until/after I open the Quicken file. I have turned off the password requirement in preferences so that there is no option to cancel, etc. Are you able to "validate and repair" a selected Quicken data file without and before opening it? Thank you.
    @mobleyw,  since you don't have password on your QDF you can't CANCEL when asked for it. 
    A couple of options for you.    A] rename the file from file manager then start Quicken.  Since Quicken can't find the file it last used it will ask you to select the file you want to open.   That will give you the chance to CANCEL and go to Validation.      B] Instead of Starting Quicken by clicking on a Quicken icon instead start from File Manager.  Select some old, garbage QDF, let it open then you can Validate your real data file and open it.     C] Use a password with your QDF.    This whole validation song and dance adds a lot of time to opening and using the QDF.   Entering a password is a small additional overhead.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    mobleyw said:
    Examining my budget this AM... and decided to go back and look at my Home screen. Pushed that tab and immediately get the popup that this file has no budget - while the budget is showing - before opening the home screen. So frustrating. Now going back to find a file which will show the budget. see the image

That would be hilarious if not so painful to us.  Maybe that message should say "I'm throwing your budget away because I don't like it. "   

I've experienced loss of budget when navigating to the home page many times.    I'm so gun shy of that page I backup backup, exit to save and come back before navigating to that page.   I've replicated what I need to use from that page on other pages.   No idea what it is that is on the Home page that is so upsetting to Q that retaliates by throwing our budget away.  ;) 

• henchm
    henchm Member ✭✭
    Options
    mobleyw: What is your "Home screen"? (My Home page is BUDGET so just starting a file (or navigating back to BUDGET) intermittently deletes the budget.) You may be on to something if it's actually the Home Screen command (and not just entering budget) that causes the deletion.
  • tdreed1265
    tdreed1265 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I've had nothing but problems since moving to R43.14. I declined updating, but the last time I started Quicken it forced me to upgrade. Immediately lost the budget and had to try multiple times to find a backup that would load a budget again. Pretty much back to square one now where I can go a whole session with updates, etc., go to the budget to verify it's still there, make a full backup, and then next time I open Quicken, the budget is gone.

So frustrating after going several weeks without any issues (other than Quicken crashing periodically).
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sorry to hear td.
    Based on what I am seeing on this post site, I will continue to resist efforts to “update” to 43.14.  Usually it is a soft note indicating new version available.  Last time it was a disruptive request to let quicken change my computer.  For first time I said No.  Will continue to resist.

Regarding the budgets disappearing.  It is commonly believed that the budget is more hiding than disappearing.  So if you don’t need to actually access the budget to make changes, I suggest to try running a budget report to confirm presence of budget.  If it runs, good enough, until a fix.  I find that it is when I actually try to enter budget that it frequently disappears.  Until a fix, I get most of what I need from budgets by running predefined budget reports from the tool bar.

I am not by any means suggesting that this is adequate or acceptable, but until Quicken devotes the necessary resources to fix this flaw among more and more customers, it’s a way to endure 🙂
    Quicken User Since - 1991
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Hey mtn_living,
    I hope your budgets are in tact.  This could become a new greeting among Q customers 😆

Was wondering if you transitioned to 43.14?  If you did, could you share your experience relative to budget disappearing or not?
    Thanks
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    CMRater said:
    I hope your budgets are in tact.  This could become a new greeting among Q customers 😆

Star Wars 
    May the budget be with you

Hunger Games
    May the budget be ever in your favor
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I like yours better LowcarbNY  :)
  • tdreed1265
    tdreed1265 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @CMRater said:
    > Sorry to hear td.
    > Based on what I am seeing on this post site, I will continue to resist efforts to “update” to 43.14.  Usually it is a soft note indicating new version available.  Last time it was a disruptive request to let quicken change my computer.  For first time I said No.  Will continue to resist.
    >
    > Regarding the budgets disappearing.  It is commonly believed that the budget is more hiding than disappearing.  So if you don’t need to actually access the budget to make changes, I suggest to try running a budget report to confirm presence of budget.  If it runs, good enough, until a fix.  I find that it is when I actually try to enter budget that it frequently disappears.  Until a fix, I get most of what I need from budgets by running predefined budget reports from the tool bar.
    >
    > I am not by any means suggesting that this is adequate or acceptable, but until Quicken devotes the necessary resources to fix this flaw among more and more customers, it’s a way to endure 🙂

Very good observations CMRater. Often if I start/stop Quicken and restore, I can get the budget "visible" again. Sometimes on the first try, sometimes takes several, but always invokes the "sync to cloud" even though I have that unselected.

For my use case, I make almost daily updates to my accounts, reference the budget for overages or where I need to make a withdrawal from a savings goal to account for some specific budget spending. I will try to run a report next time and I suspect the budget is still there as mentioned, just not visible.

Another salutation for consideration "Budgets, we don't need no stinkin' budgets"..... lol (funny, not funny).
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Let’s hope it does not turn into “I’ve learned to live without”  :(
  • mtn_living
    mtn_living Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CMRater said:
    Hey mtn_living,

Was wondering if you transitioned to 43.14?  If you did, could you share your experience relative to budget disappearing or not?
    Thanks

I am on 43.14. So far (knock on wood-please dont curse myself with this post) my budgets are remaining intact. I've been working along as usual and fairly regularly checking both planning/budgets and my budget report. I believe engineers know there are several permutations to the budget loss issue and continue to work on it.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Thanks for sharing mtn_living !  Sounds like I could give 43.14 try.
  • tdreed1265
    tdreed1265 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    After the initial issue after moving to 43.14, it's been stable now for the budget for multiple sessions.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks td
  • mtn_living
    mtn_living Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well, sure enough, my commenting a few days ago resulted in budget loss today! (lol, joking, mostly)

Had good budget most of yesterday. Was checking as I processed one step update transactions. Still was backing up frequently.

Today did one step update with variety of transactions including checking, multiple credit cards, investment transactions. Went through accepted and added categories. When I got done I checked Planing tab and budget gone (No budgetable categories message).

Restored end of day backup from yesterday (5:35 PM) and no budget. Went to one back earlier (5:23 PM) and restored and had budget back. 

Went through and did today's one step update again and virtually exactly same acceptance sequence for all accounts and budget intact.

I have been fortunate that a) I'm doing multiple backups a day  b) I have been able to restore to working budget backup pretty easily.
  • mtn_living
    mtn_living Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    important: word is they think they have figured root cause of issue and a fix is coming soon. finger’s crossed.
  • mobleyw
    mobleyw Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Losing the budget remains an annoying sporadic issue for me, typical of what I have repeatedly reported before, so I don't always report back to the forum. Yes, it seems that fewer backups are necessary to "find" the budget again, but the ongoing loss of time repeating data entries and finding the backup which will restore data to that point remains annoying, even after adopting new healthier habits and "work-arounds" suggested in the forum.
  • mobleyw
    mobleyw Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    REF: Important - "Root cause found...fix coming soon..." is encouraging. As fall approaches I begin thinking about, then working on a new/revised budget for new calendar year. Will hopefully be able to go in and out of Planning tab and Budgets frequently without Budget loss. Restoring to an earlier file and updating accounts is annoying. Restoring after budget loss and then re-creating lost budget calculations and entries for a new budget in progress would be a very significant setback.
  • JZY
    JZY Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have lost budget a couple of times in the past, and I lost it again two days ago after updating to R43.14. Actually I don’t know whether I had the budget in tact or not immediately after the update. I only noticed at the time that most of my online banking sync stopped working. The screen says it could not establish internet connection, while I was clearly connected to the internet. I looked it up in the forum, and the solution was to go to Advanced Internet Options and check the “USE TLS 1.2” box. I checked that box, and online banking sync worked, but my BUDGET DISAPPEARED.

I’m not sure it is related, but thought I’d share it here for the Quicken engineers. Knowing so many people had the same problem somehow made data entry more tolerable. I will backup religiously after establishing the new budget and hopefully there will be a fix in the near future.
This discussion has been closed.