Going from Manual entry to downloading beginner question

Good morning,
I’ve been using Quicken manually for over 20 years and am considering adding my accounts and starting to upload transactions. What can I expect? And is there a certain order you would use to make the process seamless? What are some things you’ve learned the hard way that I should avoid? Thanks so much for any help you can offer.

Best Answer

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The initial download should be the only one that involves extra work since it will probably download duplicates of what you have already entered manually.
    Just take your time to delete the dups from the Downloaded Transactions tab.
    Also, I would not have Quicken auto-enter the transactions when they are downloaded, you should review them one at a time for acceptance.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The initial download should be the only one that involves extra work since it will probably download duplicates of what you have already entered manually.
    Just take your time to delete the dups from the Downloaded Transactions tab.
    Also, I would not have Quicken auto-enter the transactions when they are downloaded, you should review them one at a time for acceptance.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you plan to continue manual transaction entry and just use the transaction downloads to confirm your transactions or do you want to have the downloading create the transactions for you? If the latter, I recommend you read the Help for Renaming Rules and Memorized Payees. 

Renaming Rules normalize the downloaded payee names and Memorized Payees will match the normalized payee name with your desired category. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Helpful to know what kind of accounts you are talking about, i.e., banking, credit card, brokerage etc.  Are any of them with Chase?

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

This discussion has been closed.