Bug- Discrepancy between Current Register Balance and Associated Balance Shown in Accounts Column

ZQkn
ZQkn Member ✭✭
This is about checking account that is interconnected with many other accounts in the same file. Recently, I discovered a consistent discrepancy amount between Current Balance amount in the register of the account and a balance associated with this account that is shown in the Accounts Bar.

After going through my files history, I determined that the error appeared in a file dated 7/19/21 while it was absent in a file immediately preceding it, dated 7/12/21. The discrepancy amount is consistent since 7/19/21.

The question is about the possibility of fixing the bug that caused the discrepancy. What if I delete all the transactions between 7/13/21 and 7/19/21 and download them again, accept them and mark them as reconciled? Obviously, prior doing that I should document their categories and what accounts they were associated with and apply all of that to the newly downloaded transactions.

I would appreciate input on the matter.

Most likely, the bug was caused by some communication interruption while I was downloading transactions for that account.

Thank you.

P.S. Note that Quicken support person went through a lot of work and time (3 hours) to fix the bug. She deactivated connection with the bank, introduced a new account and was importing and exporting all the transactions, going back to the times when the account was open. However, at the end I would have to restore hundreds, if not more, transactions as the bug came more than a year ago, plus transactions before that time, up to the start of the account.

Answers

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    We are talking about 7 days.  Have you considered looking into your statements and add the missing transactions manually to Quicken?
    Alternatively is it something trivial that you can just add a made-up adjustment transaction to get them balanced?
    The concern I have with your "what if" thinking is that banks typically give you about 30-90 days worth of transactions to download to Quicken.  2021 is much older than that.  UNLESS, you have verified that you can "manually" download/export a Quicken formatted file from them so that you can import it to Quicken.  I suggest testing this by creating a brand new Quicken data file and see if you can get those old transactions into it and see how it works.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• ZQkn
    ZQkn Member ✭✭
    You misread my message. There are no missing transactions but rather consistent discrepancy amount between Current Balance in the register and balance of the same account in the Account Bar. Artificially adding that amount to the register wouldn't solve anything. Note that the reconciliations, every month, didn't produce any discrepancy vs. the bank statements.

About the downloading transactions time window. My bank is Chase, and it allows to download all the transactions within last 24 months. I will definitely do the testing before doing it within the actual file. I just wanted to get an input on the issue from the others.

Thank you.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZQkn - Open your 7/12 file and make note of the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount of the account. 
    Then open your 7/19 file and look at the Opening Balance transaction of the account.  Does it match the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount from the 7/12 file? 
    If the Opening Balances do not match, edit the Opening Balance dollar amount in the 7/19 file to match what is shown in the 7/12 file.  Does that resolve the issue for you?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• ZQkn
    ZQkn Member ✭✭
    Not at all. Both opening balances are ZERO.
    Note that all monthly reconciliations made since that time didn't produce any discrepancy.

Reread my original message. There is a bug that creates discrepancy between current balance in account register and balance for the same account in the Accounts Bar.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    ZQkn said:
    Reread my original message.
    Please?
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• ZQkn
    ZQkn Member ✭✭
    Sorry, if I offended someone.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZQkn said:
    Recently, I discovered a consistent discrepancy amount between Current Balance amount in the register of the account and a balance associated with this account that is shown in the Accounts Bar.
    Most likely, the bug was caused by some communication interruption while I was downloading transactions for that account.
    Quicken data corruption comes in many different forms. This is yours. My balances agree to the penny between the registers and the Account Bar for all my accounts. My personal data corruption manifests elsewhere.
    You will not get a "bug fix" for this. The corruption is the result of a bug, yes. But that was in the past and it's in your data now.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• ZQkn
    ZQkn Member ✭✭
    I suspect I would have to live with it. The bug was actually "fixed" by a support person from Quicken. However, the solution isn't practical. The technician did many different attempts, for 3 hours, to resolve the issue and ended up creating a new account, then, importing or downloading transactions since the time the account was open - 3.5 years ago.

As a result, I would have to go through all of them, or many of them, at least since the time when the discrepancy appeared, 7/19/2021, and categorize each of them. Most importantly, connect them, via the categorization, with the associated accounts, to keep their historical balances unchanged. The process would be very time consuming and errors prone.
This discussion has been closed.