Bank of America is sending the wrong balance for reconcile

katejig
katejig Member ✭✭
Please bear with me as this is a little complicated to explain.

When I reconcile, Bank of America is sending/Quicken is receiving the post-pending transaction balance, but is not downloading the pending transactions. As a result, when I go to reconcile, there is always a "Difference" in the amount of any pending transactions. This started two updates ago and I had hoped the most recent update would fix it but it did not. I can see no way to edit the "online balance" it has received from Bank of America, so my only recourse would be to manually enter all pending transactions and then manually check them off.

I hope this makes sense. I tried contacting Quicken but after a very long and frustrating conversation they blamed Bank of America and told me to contact them. 🤦🏼‍♀️

Please help!

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Apparently BoA made a change to include pending transactiotns in the balance they send to Quicken. Quicken can't subtract them from the balance because it doesn't get the pending transactions. So, yes, I think it's correct that you need to complain to BoA support that they have messed this up, and should be sending Quicken only the balance of posted transactions.

In the meantime, though, you can switch to reconciling to a statement balance instead of the automatic online balance. You can either wait until the end of each billing cycle to reconcile to the actual balance on your statement (which is what I do with my credit cards) or you can log onto BoA, determine the correct balance for your posted transactions, and enter that in the Quicken reconcile screen. 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Apparently BoA made a change to include pending transactiotns in the balance they send to Quicken. Quicken can't subtract them from the balance because it doesn't get the pending transactions. So, yes, I think it's correct that you need to complain to BoA support that they have messed this up, and should be sending Quicken only the balance of posted transactions.

In the meantime, though, you can switch to reconciling to a statement balance instead of the automatic online balance. You can either wait until the end of each billing cycle to reconcile to the actual balance on your statement (which is what I do with my credit cards) or you can log onto BoA, determine the correct balance for your posted transactions, and enter that in the Quicken reconcile screen. 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • katejig
    katejig Member ✭✭
    You're the bomb. Thanks for the info - doesn't fix my issue but at least I know I'm not doing something wrong.
This discussion has been closed.