Deleting backup files

Options
bobba
bobba Member
I perform backups automatically every 3 times data is entered. I now have 320 QDF files taking 19.6 GB storage space! What is recommended number of QDF files to retain on the hard drive!

Best Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Often issues that require restoring a backup are caused by Quicken software updates, but sometimes users don't recognize these problems for a few weeks. Generally Quicken releases one new update per month and one or two bug fixes between these.

I suggest you have Quicken make a backup every time you exit or every day you use it, and keep the backups for 2 or 3 months.

Others may have different strategies.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The few times I have had to restore a backup due to hardware problems or serious mistakes my part, I was very grateful to have a backup from the previous day.

It has also been very helpful to have a backup from just before I installed a new version. Usually Quicken makes a backup just before installing a new version. This will be in the BACKUP folder in the same folder where your data file is stored. It's nice to know the pre-install backup is there, but I do not rely on it.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Often issues that require restoring a backup are caused by Quicken software updates, but sometimes users don't recognize these problems for a few weeks. Generally Quicken releases one new update per month and one or two bug fixes between these.

I suggest you have Quicken make a backup every time you exit or every day you use it, and keep the backups for 2 or 3 months.

Others may have different strategies.
  • bobba
    bobba Member
    Options
    Thanks, Jim. Makes sense to me - no point keeping anything from 3 months, let alone 4 years!!
  • Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The few times I have had to restore a backup due to hardware problems or serious mistakes my part, I was very grateful to have a backup from the previous day.

It has also been very helpful to have a backup from just before I installed a new version. Usually Quicken makes a backup just before installing a new version. This will be in the BACKUP folder in the same folder where your data file is stored. It's nice to know the pre-install backup is there, but I do not rely on it.
This discussion has been closed.