Memorized Payee List - Can I Use a Wildcard?

Options
kxjohnson
kxjohnson Member ✭✭
Many of my payees have started using a leading variable number, which throws off the category assignment. Can I utilize wildcards in the Memorized Payee List? Or is the another way to account for that variability?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Best I can think of would be to create a Renaming Rule which is set to "if payee contains" followed by one or more words of the fixed portion of the downloaded payee name.
    For recurring payments like your monthly electric bill you can circumvent this situation by setting up and recording a Scheduled Reminder with your desired payee name and category before you download transactions from the bank. If a register transaction already exists and Quicken can match the downloaded transaction to it, you've bypassed the problem without creating a number of Renaming Rules.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There are no wildcards, but matching can be performed using Renaming Rules. Check your Quicken Help to learn how to get started with them or see this page:

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-create-and-edit-renaming-rules 

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• kxjohnson
    kxjohnson Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you, @UKR and @RocketJSquirrel - those are very helpful. I appreciate the help!
  • kxjohnson
    kxjohnson Member ✭✭
    Options
    Well, it has been too long since I last dived into Quicken. Turns out I already have a bunch of renaming rules, and at least a couple of them don't seem to be working. Will have to do some more research.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Regarding being able to select "If payee contains" in the drop down, you have to first create the Renaming Rule, then select the line in the Renaming Rule that shows "If Quicken name is" and select "If payee contains" from the drop down.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.