How can I manually update my 401k from a quarterly statement like I used to?

Options
TomChatt
TomChatt Member
In older versions of Quicken, I could simply update my 401k whenever I got a quarterly statement. In that account, there used to be some menu entry like "Update 401k" or "Manual Reconcile", and it would show me my current funds (shares/value), allow me to add any new funds, and allow me to update the number of shares and current value as of my latest statement. It would then add the appropriate set of placeholder entries for that quarter. Am I no longer able to do that? I can't find that menu option anymore, despite fiddling with "simple - positions only" or "complex - positions and transactions", and other settings.

Note that for this particular 401k, I have holdings in a variety of funds offered by my employer, but they are all private funds that are unique to my employer's savings plan, making the online download functions completely useless because these aren't normal stocks/funds that can be looked up online. The manual quarterly update was the best way I had to deal with this, and now I can't even do that. (I do see where I can manually update the number of shares or the price of a specific individual fund, which is close to what I want to do, but that is super-tedious compared to the old function that let me update everything all in one table of holdings.)
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If the account isn't setup for downloading and its type is 401K the "Update 401K" account menu item still exists.  Select the gear icon/menu in the upper right of the register and select "Update 401(k) Holdings".

And this dialog will come up.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If the account isn't setup for downloading and its type is 401K the "Update 401K" account menu item still exists.  Select the gear icon/menu in the upper right of the register and select "Update 401(k) Holdings".

And this dialog will come up.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • TomChatt
    Options
    Yes, that's exactly what I was looking for, but couldn't find it. I did some more experimenting today, and as far as I can find, that menu option only exists if the account is created as an offline account from the start, using "complex" mode, so that you have access to a register. If the account is created with an online connection, you never get that "Update 401K" option, *even* if you go into Account Settings / Online Services and "Deactivate", that "Update 401K" option does not come back. I had to delete the account entirely, and start over creating it as offline from the get go.
This discussion has been closed.