Quicken crashes when Accepting Transactions - memory usage exceeds 900MB

MannyC
MannyC Member ✭✭
I'm experiencing an issue where Quicken hangs and eventually crashes once the combined running Quicken tasks exceed 900mb of memory. I experienced this issue long back when running Quicken Deluxe on an older laptop running Win10 and 8GB of memory. I thought the issue was related to using the old laptop with only 8mb of memory. I now have a new laptop running Win11 with 16GB of memory and I'm still experiencing the problem. As long as I monitor memory usage and close and restart Quicken before memory usage exceeds 900mb I can prevent the crash but monitoring is a pain. At startup, Quicken memory consumption is 458mb without doing anything. As I download transactions and start to Accept transactions memory consumption increases. I never see memory being released even as I move from one account to another. I've run Validate to make sure I have a clean file. My QDF file is 274mb. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Should memory usage continue to climb and not be released? Has anyone experienced memory usage exceeding 900mb when running Deluxe? Thank You in advance!

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    How are you determining the memory usage ?
    what version …. Help —> About Quicken  

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• MannyC
    MannyC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    I have Task Manager running and I Alt-Tab to track usage while using Quicken. I've tried to narrow down the problem to certain activity in Quicken but memory usage keeps increasing even when I get out of an account and move to another. Should memory be released as I'm using Quicken?

• MannyC
    MannyC Member ✭✭
    btw, thanks for reading my post. :)
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Here is what I'm seeing - Quicken R41.10 - the QDF file is 229MB - and max memory usage is about 550MB
    Started Q - memory was 369MB - then started opening each Account, and max was 550MB -
    You can get some Quicken data file stats.....  Help --> Shift+About Quicken ... ahh - you already did that.
    How much real physical memory do you have - the Quicken "total memory" is bogus..... "the total is less than avail" ?
    mine is actually 4GB

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• MannyC
    MannyC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Thanks! What you shared is helpful. I tried the same as you and I experienced 465mb memory usage at cold startup. After opening at least 8 different accounts in Quicken the memory consumption got as high as 530mb. My QDF file is little larger than yours so memory usage is proportionally the same. I have 16mb 16GB of physical memory. I usually experience the issue when I start to accept transactions for my accounts. Every time I Accept a transaction memory usage increases all the way up to 900mb. That's when Quicken hangs and crashes. I would expect memory to free up when moving from one account to the next but it doesn't. I'm not sure why the account transactions need to stay in memory when you move to another account. Have you noticed anything similar when accepting downloaded account transactions? Thanks again.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    just curious - why 55 Accounts

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• MannyC
    MannyC Member ✭✭
    Fair question. Many are old. I've been using Quicken since 1999. Some accounts are old mortgage accounts or brokerage accounts as I've moved assets between companies. I currently have 12 active accounts. Do you think Quicken is loading data into memory for all accounts, even those which are no longer active?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well - it appears that the Quicken "help" is wrong, with respect to the count of Accounts.
    For me, I have about 38 Accounts - BUT - only 20 are Active with Downloading.... which is what is displayed in the box -
    You can see and count by looking at the -- Tools --> Account List
    Just as a tidbit, if you are no longer actively downloading to old accounts, you could remove that feature from them.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like some kind of memory leak.  A long time ago I had that kind of thing in Quicken doing certain operations.  Eventually they fixed that memory leaks.

I do know that when this kind of thing happens and Quicken gets to about 1GB it will crash.  Ba

This certainly sounds like a bug, the problem here is going to be reproducing it since you are the first I have seen that has reported this in a very long time.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    And for what it's worth mine shows a count of all the accounts 132 of them. Not that I think it matters but do note that I don't use quickens close function.  I just hide them in the lists and in the account bar.  

My available memory shows two gig which is exactly what I would expect for a 32-bit program.  Sometimes the motherboards and stuff can allocate some more with some special options but two gig is the standard.  But from my experience on the last memory leak that I saw when it gets to 1 gig it crashes.  But the basic problem is it should never ever get there unless there's a memory leak.

About the only thing I can think of troubleshooting this with would be trying different financial institutions / accounts during the one step update to see if there's a set of accounts that cause the problem.  And you might also try it in a new file. 
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • MannyC
    MannyC Member ✭✭
    Thanks Chris. I agree with your comment regarding the memory leak. I would expect memory to be up/down based on usage. In my situation, I do not see much decrease in memory. It limits using some of the heavier features of Quicken such as transfer of assets from one account to another. When I initiate the task it runs forever with memory increasing and then crashing when it hits +900mb. I therefore have to txfr small portion of assets at a time so Quicken can complete the move of trans. before it hits 900mb. Also, it limits my ability to accept transactions at the end of the month. I have to constantly watch memory usage and exit out of Quicken so it won't hang. Are you aware of any monitoring capabilities which Quicken Support or I can turn on to help track the problem?
  • MannyC
    MannyC Member ✭✭
    @Ps56k2, thanks for the tip. As part of my investigation into this problem, I did go through my accounts to make sure download of transactions was turned off for accounts no longer active. I was also thinking about decreasing the size of my QDF file by removing transactions from some of the older accounts. From some of the other posts I read I got the sense this should not be necessary. My thought... if I could decrease the amount of memory consumed at start up then it gives me more runway before I have to exit Quicken prior to it crashing.
  • MannyC
    MannyC Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW, thanks for sharing the details. I like your idea on trying to isolate to a single account. I do have one account which has lots of transactions each month. I've had the account for many years and the number of transactions is getting rather large. I've noticed sometimes it can take Quicken a long time to open the account when I select to open. I've seen it take upwards of 10-15secs. I should start receiving monthly statements soon. I'll try accepting trans. for the smaller accounts and see if the problem still occurs. I can then also try isolating the one bigger account in a separate file to see if the problem persists. Thanks for the suggestion.
This discussion has been closed.