Quicken Premier Portfolio View and most reports not working after update

Options
BJB
BJB Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I started Quickbooks Premier (Subscription) today and the latest update installed.
After starting all looked normal. I accepted some previously downloaded investment transactions and the investment register looked normal as did bank register. There were a few sales and as normal, when I switched to "average cost" it took time to recalc, and then came back and accepted. So per usual.

However I tried to go to "portfolio" from either the toolbar or the portfolio button within investing it would not display. No error, no nothing, it just ignored the mouse click. I restarted and it did not display. I rebooted and still, no display.

I tried to view some investment reports and capital gains worked but none of the other ones did.

EDIT/UPDATE: I also tried to run an "itemized category" report from the report menu. That also did not work. No error, just did not run. Same with most other reports. However capital gains report did work. Cash flow did work, but others didn't... Sigh....

I was able to update quotes. I also can see all my investments in the investment dashboard, in the right toolbar, etc. The values are there....it is just the portfolio display (very important to me) does not work. I can also see all investment account registers, all is normal.

I do have backups.....but if this is due to a backup I don't want to go through all that and see if I have an issue. Or of course I am sure one recommendation is to run data verification....but last time I did that last year I lost all my saved quicken Payees.

Any input welcome before I go down the rabbit hole of trying to fix this. Perhaps this is a known patch issue or the issue has occurred in the past.

Thanks for any help,
BJB

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The first bit of info you need to provide is the actual version of Quicken you're running.  The words "the latest" is meaningless now because Quicken has adopted a policy of "trickling out" new versions on, it's said, a random basis, trying to judge if some new release has problems before opening the floodgates and allowing all users to accept it. 
    I'm running R43.20 and can get to Portfolio View just fine, so if that's the version you're on then it might be a "local to you" issue of some sort.
  • BJB
    BJB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I apologize, I was not aware of that. I am on R43.20. So if you do not have the issue and others do not, I assume the step one is copy my data file to a new folder and run a data validation? I have not done in a while but I believe you can choose which data file to run it on?

I guess I can try the data file right before my last data import and see if that works before using data verification but I hate playing data file roulette. Plus I will lose the months of transactions I downloaded and accepted.

Your input is most welcome. Just throwing some ideas out above from my many years of using Q.

Distressing!
    Thanks,
    BJB
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    From the sounds of it, you're not a "daily" updater of your data file, more like "once a month?" 
    If so, then "free advise", (which you can value as exactly the amount you paid for it), would be to be a more frequent updater.  Sometimes your best and only resort to fixing things is to use a backup of your data file and always having on hand "yesterday's" data file make that less painless than having to use "last month's" backup.
    If I've misread you and perhaps you're referring to manual backups you make once a month, then automatically you should have a more recent automatic data backup in the Quicken Backups folder.
    But back to your current problem... It could be an issue with the install of the update or it could be an issue with the data file, but the easiest line of attack here is to do the Copy and Validation process you've mentioned.  You can either rename the copy or put the copy in a different folder (or both); that approach lessens the confusion over "what data file am I playing with here?"  Yes, the process of copying and validating is data file specific.  Open the file in Quicken, do File > Copy or Backup File... then using that file do the Validate and Repair File... process. 
    If you haven't done this yet then maybe before the copy and validate process you might simply close down Quicken and reboot the computer. 
  • BJB
    BJB Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks! I do have daily backups to the cloud and a local NAS at the Hard Drive level and Quicken backs up every few days to Dropbox and then it still does a local copy I think. So I have copies. :)
    You are so right! I learned long ago to have multiple backups. So I am good there. I was just referring to what Quicken does. I can go into my backup images and pull files.

However if I start going live with say a backup from yesterday, I may still have to validate that one and still have prior issues. So perhaps my thinking is correct to just validate my current file? Or should I try opening that backup? It could have been my investment transaction acceptance today that caused the issue.

To be specific on validate. Do I have to be "live" or have my copied file open in order to run a validate on it? Can I be open in my current live file and then run a validate on my copied file? I thought it allowed you to do that in the past.

The FAQ says to check the box "rebuild lots" if you are having investment issues. Should I do that or just try it without doing that first? The less messing around validate does the better IMHO.

And then, what are best practices to move that now validated back to where my current live file is once fixed....

Sorry for all the questions.....as to my losing my online payees, I believe that was an issues other had last year? I hope that does not happen for sure.

Thanks again,
    BJB
  • BJB
    BJB Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for your help! I validated a copy of the file, it did find some invalid investment transactions.
    I had printed all my balances and recent transactions before validating and the new file all balanced except one account with that bad transactions.

Thanks for re-kindling my quicken validate memories!

Thanks,
    BJB
This discussion has been closed.