Renaming a category

Moorhatch
Moorhatch Member ✭✭
I want to rename a category. According to help, I'm to choose "Window menu then category". I'm at a loss as to where to find the "Window Menu". Help, please

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Help is wrong and needs to be corrected. Quicken for Windows has no Window menu. (Maybe Quicken for Mac does?)
    In QWin, do Tools > Category List or press Ctrl-Shift-C. From the category list you can edit to your heart's content.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Moorhatch
    Moorhatch Member ✭✭
    I did not find that to be the case. When in the category list via tools, one can hide and add a new category. When one clicks on "Options: one can assign a category group or manage categories (add or remove). Nowhere do I see "rename:
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Moorhatch said:
    I did not find that to be the case. When in the category list via tools, one can hide and add a new category. When one clicks on "Options: one can assign a category group or manage categories (add or remove). Nowhere do I see "rename:
    Hello @Moorhatch,  

I do apologize for this frustration regarding the Category editing features. Thank you for discussing this with us here on the Quicken Community. 

Are you looking the Help section devoted to Quicken for Mac, by chance? The Window > Categories menu option would be relevant to Quicken for Mac users. Quicken for Windows users can find information regarding Category features here.

I hope that is helpful. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    In the category list, select the category and then right click, and select Edit.
    From that dialog you can change the name.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Moorhatch
    Moorhatch Member ✭✭
    I'm using Quicken for Windows Deluxe subscription. The procedure suggested doesn't provide a change name dialog. I tried creating a new category and merging the two but was informed that since there are no transactions linked to the new name, merger isn't possible. Maybe next time I have a transaction involving the category in question, I'll try it. In any case it seems to be a round about way to change a name.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    There is also a button the Action column that you can select to do the same.  But yes, it is a round about way to do it.  Quicken has quite a few quirks like that.  My "favorite" is that you go into the Account Details to delete an account.  Really strange place to put the delete.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Are you looking the Help section devoted to Quicken for Mac, by chance? The Window > Categories menu option would be relevant to Quicken for Mac users. Quicken for Windows users can find information regarding Category features here.
    I see this when I use QWin in-product Help. Apparently the QMac help got inserted instead. Can you please report this so it gets fixed, @Quicken Jared?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    I see this when I use QWin in-product Help. Apparently the QMac help got inserted instead. Can you please report this so it gets fixed, @Quicken Jared?

Hello @Rocket J Squirrel

I am sorry to hear about this strange incongruity between the instructions and the user platform. Thank you for alerting us to this, and for providing that documentation.

I have forwarded this information to the proper channels. I don't have an estimated timeline for a resolution, but it is being looked into. 

Thanks again,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.