Chase Authorization - Prior Transaction Download is hosing account that was reconciled

I have my preferences set to do not automatically download transactions - After downloading transactions there are no checkboxes that should be allowing automatically adding transactions. However, when I go through the Chase Authorization steps, the Chase process is downloading 90 days of transactions and automatically adding a portion of them which is hosing my account. Once downloaded, I can't figure out which transactions to delete to get back to a reconciled state. I need all transactions downloaded to be required to be accepted so that I can control what is entered into the register.

Comments

• Preferences: Downloaded Transactions: After downloading transactions - NO CHECKS by Automatically add to banking registers or Automatically add to investment transactions list or Never interpret downloaded Money Market funds as cash
  • How can we reauthorize our Chase accounts and force the system to allow us to manually accept the transactions into the register? This is needed to control what happens with the last 90 days transactions that are trying to come into an old register.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I did was restore my previous day's backup. Then I updated my Chase accounts (3 credit cards) via Direct Connect one last time. At that point, I was confident I had clean registers for all Chase accounts.

Then I disconnected & reconnected the Chase accounts. Any duplicate transactions were immediately obvious to delete.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    For me it was changing my reconciled transactions.  The new Chase connection migration has been very problematic and painfull in going through every transaction to find the issues.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    mwkleiman said:
    How can we reauthorize our Chase accounts and force the system to allow us to manually accept the transactions into the register? This is needed to control what happens with the last 90 days transactions that are trying to come into an old register.
    Unfortunately when Quicken first links to an online account it always puts the transactions directly into the account.  There isn't anything you can do to stop that.

The standard way of dealing with this duplicate transaction problem is to sort by Order Entered which will put all the new transactions together, so they are easier to delete.  Be sure not to delete any actual new transactions.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Plinker1961
    Plinker1961 Member ✭✭
    I'm experiencing the same exact issue as OP: Quicken asks me to go through the Chase Authorization steps, Chase downloads the last 90 days worth of transactions, all of which are marked as "New" (despite obvious matches to older transactions I have long since reconciled). I've tried deleting the duplicates (keeping only those that are really new), but I am unable to get account into a reconciled state.

Only "solution" currently is to restore a backup and avoid online updates of accounts, which is a very poor solution. I hope the software engineers at Quicken get this resolved soon as it is frustrating!
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm experiencing the same exact issue as OP: Quicken asks me to go through the Chase Authorization steps, Chase downloads the last 90 days worth of transactions, all of which are marked as "New" (despite obvious matches to older transactions I have long since reconciled). I've tried deleting the duplicates (keeping only those that are really new), but I am unable to get account into a reconciled state.

Only "solution" currently is to restore a backup and avoid online updates of accounts, which is a very poor solution. I hope the software engineers at Quicken get this resolved soon as it is frustrating!
    In the same situation.  Only option might be qfx download strait from the bank's web site specifying dates after already downloaded and reconciled transactions.  You would think Quicken can do that with their new web connect setup to avoid long time users having all their already downloaded and reconciled records changed and all these problems.
  • cmclien
    cmclien Member ✭✭
    I’m having the exact same issue as the OP. Not only does it download the last 90 days and doesn’t recognize they’re already reconciled, but it changed the opening balance in my CC and also changes some transactions to C instead of R before I even look/accept/reject the downloaded transactions. I’ve tried a bunch of ways to fix this, spent hours bringing up a backup copy and trying new things to no avail……
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    I've just been going straight to Chase web site and in account activity downloading QFX file using range of date for transactions not already downloaded and reconciled in my quicken register.  You would think the new connection method would allow for something like this to avoid the hassle of manually requesting transactions based on date range and downloading file to import.
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    Same for me. Quicken asking to re-authorize the account. Once process is complete several already reconciled transactions from past month are deleted from register and added as new. The balances of all the chase accounts is incorrect. I am not sure what can be done here. I reached out to support, but they have no ideas what to do either.
    I am hoping Quicken fixes this by providing a more flexible Web Connect capability to avoid their downloading of so many transactions that wipe out our already reconciled and categorized ones in our existing Quicken accounts.  Too much of a hassle in trying to fix all the transactions which can span multiple accounts that are not even related to Chase ones.
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    R43.26 seems much better.  I did save a backup.  It did download some recent transactions but does not appear to have done months worth of data like before.  For those it downloaded which I already had in the register as cleared it changed the category, so beware!  Luckily it was only a couple of days and updated the categories for the appropriate accounts they were intended to be for such as transfers to pay other accounts.   I did notice it did not offer to download other Chase investment accounts.  It just did the checking and savings type accounts.  Will try to enable the others to see what happens.
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    I just enabled downloads for Chase Investment accounts, but it is still using Direct connect instead of the new express Web connection setup.  What's the story here?  Not all the Chase accounts will be forced to use Express Web connection by end of September?

By the way, after some minor transactions corrections on the other banking accounts, the balances and everything I had reconciled before appear to be untouched.  Much better than before, but nervous that something will go wrong over next couple of days so watching it closely.  Continuing to do regular file validations and backups in case I need to restore to last good file before these connection changes.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @JRod early on the Moderators told us it would be all the accounts, but as of now that hasn't happened, the investment accounts for everyone has stayed on Direct Connect.
    Signature:
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW,  More confusing Quicken communications.  :/ The web page to authorize Quicken showed all my Chase accounts to authorize but only two banking ones were part of the download with Quicken.  I had to separately go into the other investment account to enable downloads for those which it established using DirectConnect.  Now I am concerned that something will popup at the end of the month and go through same ordeal for the investment accounts.  
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @JRod I sure hope that they aren't going try to cram in changing over for the Investment accounts at this point at least not with the same final date.  If the Schwab changeover teaches anything, changing to Express Web Connect + for investment accounts is many times harder than the banking/credit cards.

And even though they are shown in the same account on the Chase website they are really handled by completely different parts of the company, as in JP Morgan, not "Chase".

I remember I opened my investment accounts and the local bank couldn't even check the balance of my investment accounts for the purpose of qualifying for "Private Client".  They had some kind of delay before they got that information even though I could log into the mobile App or website and see it and show that to them.
    Signature:
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    @JRod I sure hope that they aren't going try to cram in changing over for the Investment accounts at this point at least not with the same final date.  If the Schwab changeover teaches anything, changing to Express Web Connect + for investment accounts is many times harder than the banking/credit cards.

And even though they are shown in the same account on the Chase website they are really handled by completely different parts of the company, as in JP Morgan, not "Chase".
    I got e-mail today stating that Chase investing connection is getting an update next week. Not good news with all these problems and would hate to run into issues with investment accounts.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    JRod said:
    Chris_QPW said:

I got e-mail today stating that Chase investing connection is getting an update next week. Not good news with all these problems and would hate to run into issues with investment accounts.

Yep, I got the same email, here is my take on it:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7919782/could-they-pick-a-worse-timing-email-about-converting-chase-investing
    Signature:
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    I am dreading what will happen with the Chase investing account conversion to EWC+.  As you stated, they are different entities within JPMorgan Chase, and can only dread the coming weeks when not even sure that things are fully working and recovered from the banking accounts conversion. :#
  • Plinker1961
    Plinker1961 Member ✭✭
    My Quicken just updated to R43.32, which claims to have fixed "An issue where migration to Express Web Connect Plus caused duplicate transactions for Chase investment accounts." I don't have any "investment accounts", but the preliminary results show this appears to have fixes issue with duplicate transactions discussed in this thread. I'll give this a few more days of testing though before I am willing to call this issue "resolved", but for once I'm optimistic.
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well, here we go again. Looks like Quicken's end of September deadline for Chase conversion has broken something.  EWC+ download of transactions were working fine but now I haven't been able to get any new Chase transactions seems since Sept 21st.  I seem to be experiencing what others have been reporting with the downloads not working, and I am having the issue after converting all my Chase Accounts to EWC+.  What is going on Quicken?  
  • Plinker1961
    Plinker1961 Member ✭✭
    I did have a few issues with duplicate transactions since my last update on Sept 24. That said, I was able to reenter the newly downloaded transactions, delete the old duplicates, reconcile the account, and have been fine ever since. Been using this for well over a week now with no new problems. Breathing a huge sigh of relief!
This discussion has been closed.