Transaction dates and manual reconciliations

Mike_59
Mike_59 Member ✭✭
For several months now the manual reconciliation feature requires me to manually enter transactions that should have posted to my register on the same date as my bank (RBC) statement. The one day discrepancy from the reconciliation cut off date has forced this irritating workaround. For some odd reason just changing the date doesn't solve the problem. I'm thinking either the bank (RBC) isn't passing the right date to Quicken or Quicken is posting a different date to the register. This is a data integrity issue that needs to quickly get resolved. Anyone else experiencing this?

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Click on one of the transactions and see what the posted date is. Then use that date (or a day or two later) as the date you enter as the statement ending date. This will cause the transactions to be available in the reconciliation window. Just make sure any downloaded transactions which are not on the bank statement are unchecked in the reconcile window.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Mike_59
    Mike_59 Member ✭✭
    Thanks @jacobs. The type of transactions are mostly posted on the last day of the bank statement (monthly fees and such). In this case Quicken displays them on the next day after the statement close date and therefore don't show on the Quicken manual reconciliation log but are on my bank statement.
  • jacobs
    @Mike_59. So you're saying that in the Transactions Inspector window, it shows a transaction with a posted date before the transaction date? For example, a posted date of 8/31, but the transaction shows in the register with a date of 9/1? That sounds unusual; it's the opposite which is often the case (the posted date is one or two days after the transaction date).

In any case, if you enter your statement ending date as 9/1 or 9/2, are you saying that the transaction dated 9/1 and posted 8/31 does not show up in the reconcile window? I can't replicate that, or figure out how it could be.

Could you capture and post a screen shot of the Transactions Inspector window for one of the problematic transactions?
  • I am having the same issue when reconciling. I have deposits made on the last day of the month that don't show in the transaction window and therefore cannot reconcile.
  • jacobs
    @brendan.mcguire Are you sure you cannot reconcile? I'm confused why that would be. As I wrote above, if you enter the statement ending date a day or two after the end of the actual statement period (e.g. 9/1 or 9/2 for a statement period ending 8/31), don't those transactions on the last day of the month post and show up in the Quicken reconciliation window? 
  • @jacobs Yes, I'm sure. I made the statement day 9/2 for a month of August reconciliation and they still don't show up on the list....Your logic is sound, but it doesn't fix the issue.
  • @jacobs Scratch my last comment - it did work...It also pulled in another transaction that I needed to uncheck...So thank you !
  • Mike_59
    Mike_59 Member ✭✭
    @jacobs - sorry for the delay in getting back to you. will give your suggestion a try and as @brendan.mcguire stated, the logic is sound and expected to work.
This discussion has been closed.