how to fix "Unspecified Account" after the Validate?

mikek753b
mikek753b Member ✭✭✭✭
hello,

I run Validate and Repair and got many "Unspecified Account" Category.
yes, some old accounts were Deleted and some other account transactions also were truncated.
How do I address this issues now?
what should I select for that Category for those transactions with "Unspecified Account" ?

thanks
Best Regards
Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    mikek753b said:
    hello,

I run Validate and Repair and got many "Unspecified Account" Category.
    yes, some old accounts were Deleted and some other account transactions also were truncated.
    How do I address this issues now?
    what should I select for that Category for those transactions with "Unspecified Account" ?

thanks
    Hello @mikek753b,         

I do apologize about this 'Unspecified Account' error message. Thank you for asking about this here on the Quicken Community.

First, what issue prompted your use of the Validate and Repair feature? Were you experiencing issues with account registers, or billing, for example? When did all of these issues begin? If you save backups often by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen, you may be able to restore from a backup saved prior to when all of these issues began by going into the same menu and selecting File > Restore a Backup File... I am wondering if these problems continue in just such a restored backup, if one can be utilized.

I look forward to hearing your answers. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • mikek753b
    mikek753b Member ✭✭✭✭
    thank you for the reply.
    no, I can't restore from the backup, it was several years ago, as I deleted several closed accounts to truncate quicken Data file.
    this reporting message I got several months ago, before Quicken looks like just ignored deleted accounts and kept all transactions in existing accounts with those transfers "as is" IMHO.

I just filtered all transactions with "Unspecified Account" and removed all those in existing accounts.
    yes, I had to adjust Opening Balance for all those existing accounts, including hidden / closed as well.

I wish it is more clear how to remove old Credit Card accounts that have not used for several years, where my Checking accounts are used for auto balance transfer.

I don't need and want to keep old closed accounts over 3-5 years, as this slows down Quicken DB a lot.
    While I don't want to Archive and truncate DB ether for existing and investments (even closed) accounts.

I'm not sure that I did what is expected, but new Validate report is clean for now ;-)
    Best Regards
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    You probably wanted to do:
    File -> Copy or Backup File ... -> Create a year-end archive

Note the reason you got "Unspecified Account" entries is because each of those transactions were transfers to the account(s) you deleted.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.