How to edit second scheduled transaction.

Options
DashQuark
DashQuark Member ✭✭
I have a monthly scheduled transaction. The next bill this month is correct but next month's is uniquely different. I just want to edit the second scheduled transaction. Not this month but next month. When I click on any of the future transactions I can only edit the next one not the one after that. Is there a way to separate one from the schedule? I guess I can skip it and schedule a new one. I think this is different on the Mac than it was on Windows. I don't remember this being an issue before I moved to a Mac.

Best Answer

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I don't think there's a way to do that with a single scheduled transaction, so you'd need to exclude next month from the schedule and make a separate transaction just for next month. And since you can't have a monthly schedule that skips just one month, you'll need to change the schedule so it starts the month after next (skipping over this month & next month). Then add two single transactions for this month & next month. Or you could wait until after you've paid the bill this month, then you'd only have to exclude next month & make one extra transaction.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I don't think there's a way to do that with a single scheduled transaction, so you'd need to exclude next month from the schedule and make a separate transaction just for next month. And since you can't have a monthly schedule that skips just one month, you'll need to change the schedule so it starts the month after next (skipping over this month & next month). Then add two single transactions for this month & next month. Or you could wait until after you've paid the bill this month, then you'd only have to exclude next month & make one extra transaction.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Jon's correct that you can't edit future instances of a scheduled transaction. A scheduled transaction is like a template for future transactions which don't exist yet, so you can't edit specific future instances. 

That said, there's probably a much easer solution in this case: just mark the next instance of the scheduled transaction as paid. Then you'll be able to edit the subsequent one, because it will now be the first — if all you need to change it the date or amount. If you need to edit the transaction more, such as editing splits, then mark next month's transaction as paid, too. When you mark a transaction is paid, it uses the "template" to create a "real" transaction, which is then independent of the scheduled series and can be edited however you see fit. Marking the transaction as paid will not mess up anything in Quicken. It will still have its originally scheduled date, so you'll see it in the future in your account register. (Of course, if you use the scheduled transaction to remind you you actually pay the bill in real life, then you'll need to leave flag the transaction to review or use a post-in note on your computer or something else to make sure you don't forget to pay the bill!)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.