Ending Balance incorrect/overstated after web connect download

Options
ligreenizs
ligreenizs Member ✭✭
Since upgrading to the latest release (meaning Quicken 22? I beleive it is) I have experienced several times that my checking account was balanced, then I run the one step update (web Connect) and my online balance is correct but suddenly my ending balance is overstated. I match the downloaded transactions so there is no rhyme or reason as to why the ending balance is overstated by thousands of dollars. It is almost like old transactions were downloaded and accepted affecting the balance because when I view the uncleared entries they are valid and current transactions. Has anyone else experienced this? Last night my account was in balance. One transaction was downloaded and matched and the balance is no longer correct. I have been using Quicken for 18 years and have never experienced this
Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Since upgrading to the latest release (meaning Quicken 22? I beleive it is) I have experienced several times that my checking account was balanced, then I run the one step update (web Connect) and my online balance is correct but suddenly my ending balance is overstated. I match the downloaded transactions so there is no rhyme or reason as to why the ending balance is overstated by thousands of dollars. It is almost like old transactions were downloaded and accepted affecting the balance because when I view the uncleared entries they are valid and current transactions. Has anyone else experienced this? Last night my account was in balance. One transaction was downloaded and matched and the balance is no longer correct. I have been using Quicken for 18 years and have never experienced this
    Hello @ligreenizs,  

I am sorry to hear about this problem with incorrect ending balances. Thank you for asking about this here on the Quicken Community.

First, is this occurring with more than one account, and if so, are these accounts associated with multiple financial institutions? If not, which financial institution are you noticing this issue affecting? have you checked the Opening balance in these account registers to make sure that the amount featured here is correct? Are there any duplicate transactions, so far as you can tell? 

I look forward to seeing your answers, and hope to provide suggestions, if necessary. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • mickandroberta
    Options
    Yes, I experienced this too within the past couple of months. What was happening is that new downloaded transactions were "sort of" auto matching with older transactions that had already been reconciled. I say "sort of" because the reconciled transaction that was already there was left intact. The new one was "matched" with the old date, payee, etc., but as a separate transaction. This meant that the transaction amounts were doubled up, so the opening balance was more than it should have been by those amounts. I finally found the extra transactions and deleted them, but it was not easy.

My preferences are set for downloaded transactions *not* to be added to the registers without my manually accepting them. I am still seeing some of them being auto matched anyway, but fortunately the newer instances have "matched" with more recent, unreconciled tranactions so they were easier to find.

Quicken version is R43.32, build 27.1.43.32, running on Windows 11 Enterprise. I just reported the issue from the Help menu.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Yes, I experienced this too within the past couple of months. What was happening is that new downloaded transactions were "sort of" auto matching with older transactions that had already been reconciled. I say "sort of" because the reconciled transaction that was already there was left intact. The new one was "matched" with the old date, payee, etc., but as a separate transaction. This meant that the transaction amounts were doubled up, so the opening balance was more than it should have been by those amounts. I finally found the extra transactions and deleted them, but it was not easy.

My preferences are set for downloaded transactions *not* to be added to the registers without my manually accepting them. I am still seeing some of them being auto matched anyway, but fortunately the newer instances have "matched" with more recent, unreconciled tranactions so they were easier to find.

Quicken version is R43.32, build 27.1.43.32, running on Windows 11 Enterprise. I just reported the issue from the Help menu.
    Hello @mickandroberta,    

Thank you for providing further information about the issues you are noticing and I am sorry that you are being affected by problems like those described earlier in the thread, as well.

Did this seem to revolve around any account or financial institution, in particular? If not, try saving a backup and then navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. 
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists. 

If you are still noticing difficulties after you have attempted those recommendations, you may try the following:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If this seemed to revolve around accounts associated with a particular institution, then let us know; the instructions above would not apply, in that case.

I look forward to your response.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Please read this discussion about the new function to include/exclude pending transactions in EWC or EWC+ connected accounts. Applies to R 43.xx or R 44.xx Quicken versions. Not available for DC connected accounts and offline accounts.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7920731/new-pending-transaction-shows-incorrect-total-on-menu#latest

This discussion has been closed.