Installing Quicken 2000 Deluxe on a Windows 11 computer

Options
For information, I have successfully installed a UK version of Quicken 2000 Deluxe ('Year 2000 Compliant' version) on a Windows 11 laptop, restored my backup data from a Windows 10 PC, and all appears to be working perfectly. I've not needed to go through the 2004 to 2013 data conversion processes others have described to get a working (albeit dollar-centric) system, as I've no need of online connections to banks etc. I also appear to have avoided the registration nag screen by using the 'one step update' function in the 'Online' menu. Otherwise I've learned that replacing the 'quickenw' folder in the newly-installed program with the same folder copied from a fully working program on another computer avoids the problem of getting locked out after 25 uses. I am very happy to have once again managed to resurrect this ancient program, which I've been using on a regular basis for the past 22 years or so!

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What kind of processor chip do you have on your Windows 11 machine? Intel or AMD?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    UKR said:
    What kind of processor chip do you have on your Windows 11 machine? Intel or AMD?
    Why would that matter?

The main "dividing lines" of compatibility are usually along these lines.
    1. Is the installer/program 32-bit or 16-bit.  The installers tend to be the main problems in this area because they tend to have to stay compatible with old programs longer even if the program they are installing has move to 32-bits.  The rule for compatibility with the Windows operating system is a 32-bit Windows version can run 16-bit and 32-bit programs.  A 64-bit Windows version can run 32-bit and 64-bit programs.
    2. Some drivers tend to become invalid first because they are more low level.  The result is printing stops working.  And the Help is another area that tends to fail.
    3. The last really isn't "compatibility is whatever means that version of Quicken is using to stop pirating.  The reason that copying the Quicken configurations files from the old machine to the new one allows you to run the program is because that is where Quicken stores its licensing information.  Note that the usual flow is that you would somehow register with say license server.  And once Quicken knows that you authorized to run it, it puts the license information in it configuration files.  The main roadblock then is usually does the license server even still exist and can you log into it.  If not then the only way to get the license information where Quicken wants it is to copy it from another working machine.  People are now finding out how important this when using Quicken 2014 to Quicken 2017 US since they can no longer log into there Quicken Id to do the licensing after an install.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was asking because ISTR that Intel dropped 16-bit instruction sets from its processors wheras AMD did not.
    I also STR that Q 2000 was 16-bit software.
    Just trying to find out if my memory is faulty or not ... you know, old age and all that ... ;)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    By the time Quicken 2000 rolled around it was 32-bit, but I don't know exactly when the installer changed from 16-bit to 32-bit.  Given that the install worked for @Obsolescent that definitely means that the installer is also 32-bit because Windows 11 dropped putting out a 32-bit version of the operating system.

Of course it has been years since almost everyone has been installing the 64-bit version of Windows instead of the 32-bit one.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.