Quicken replaces previous BITW prices with incorrect prices

Roland@
Roland@ Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2022 in Investing (Windows)
Hello,

I've been having a problem with BITW quotes for the last week or two.  Every day Quicken updates the quotes, and every day the current day's quote is correct, but it *replaces* the 4 prior days with invalid prices.  So, every day I'm showing a huge change in value, even though the actual change is relatively small.

I've tried deleting the invalid prices, downloading historical prices or just updating again, and I always end up with the same 5 prices... the correct one for today, and 4 invalid prior ones. I even tried creating a new quicken file, adding the security, and it shows the same 5 prices.

Additionally, downloading historical prices for this symbol doesn't seem to have any effect.  I get no prices when "Downloading historical prices".  Only the regular "Update" downloads the 5 prices.

Is there something I can do to fix this both of these issues?

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the name of the security  you want? Quicken lists BITW as Bitwise Crypto 10 index fund, with a price today of $10.70 and the previous 5 days of about 17. Is that what you are seeing?

It sounds like there is a conflict in the ticker symbols between Quicken's quote provider and your broker.

QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried manually entering the prior four days values, and then seeing if they stick?  
  • Roland@
    Roland@ Member ✭✭✭
    See https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/BITW/history/ for the correct prices.  The last 5 days have been between $10-$12.  It hasn't been near $17 since June.
  • Jim_Harman
    OK thanks for clarifying. This appears to be a problem with the data sent by Quicken's quote provider. 

Forum Moderators sometimes review issues discussed here and refer them to Development, but if you want Quicken to work on a problem, I recommend you contact Support via phone.  Be sure the support agent understands the problem and gives you a ticket number for future reference.

You should also use the Help > Report a Problem menu in Quicken to submit the issue online. In your submission, be as clear and thorough as possible. Reference the ticket number and provide a link to this discussion. Provide step by step instructions to reproduce the problem. You will not get a response to an electronic submission, but they say they review and prioritize the submissions. 

• Roland@
    Roland@ Member ✭✭✭
    @q_lurker I manually entered the correct prices, and quicken didn't immediately overwrite them.  I'll report back on what happens when tomorrow's prices come in.

(Of course, this doesn't change the fact that the prices quicken does download are incorrect)
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roland@ said:

(Of course, this doesn't change the fact that the prices quicken does download are incorrect)
    Agreed.  It should give you a passable workaround until their data supplier gets the prices right. 

I believe the historical pries (more than 5 days old), come from a different source that the 'current' (within 5 days) prices.  Apparently, the historical source is not supporting BITW at this time and they often do not support thinly traded securities.  

So these quotes you are referencing (apparently) come from one source and that is who needs to get their act together.  As Jim suggested, Help > Report a Problem may be the best way to get action. 
  • Roland@
    Roland@ Member ✭✭✭
    Ok, updated my test file today, and as expected, Quicken downloaded the correct price for today and overwrote yesterday's correct price with a bogus historical one.  I also notice that it cleared out yesterday's hi/lo/volume numbers.  See attached images

In my regular file, where I'd made corrected price entries for prior days, it did *not* overwrite those.  It only overwrote yesterday's incorrect price.  ie, Quicken appears to only overwrite the price entries that it automatically enters.

• Jim_Harman
    Roland@ said:
    Quicken appears to only overwrite the price entries that it automatically enters.

That is to be expected - manual entries over-ride downloaded or imported data.

Have you contacted Quicken Support as recommended above? They are the only people who can ask Quicken's data provider to resolve this issue.
  • Roland@
    Roland@ Member ✭✭✭
    Have you contacted Quicken Support as recommended above? They are the only people who can ask Quicken's data provider to resolve this issue.

I have.  Thanks
This discussion has been closed.