Error Transferring Security to Another Account

gregandrews
gregandrews Member ✭✭
edited October 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I am trying to transfer a security from one account to another. When I click on the "security name" drop down, the security I want to transfer is missing. I can add it, but then I get the error "there are not enough shares for this security in the account you are trying to transfer from". The shares ARE there. What is going on?

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like you're trying to initiate the transfer in the "to" Account?  Ordinarily I'd originate a transfer in the "from" Account.  Have you tried that?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’d also check to make sure the security is NOT set up as Type = Market Index. That is frequently an issue when the security does not appear in the drop down list. It could also be hidden, I suppose. 
  • gregandrews
    gregandrews Member ✭✭
    Tom Young, the way Quicken works is that you must be in the "from" account to make a security transfer. It is impossible to initiate a transfer from the "to" account.
  • gregandrews
    gregandrews Member ✭✭
    q_lurker, Thanks for the hint. The security was indeed set up as Type = Market Index. I changed that to Mutual Fund and now it does show in the dropdown box! However, I am still getting the error "there are not enough shares for this security in the account you are trying to transfer from".
  • gregandrews
    gregandrews Member ✭✭
    Ok, I found a way to transfer the securities, but I still think there is a bug in Quicken as the process I was using should have worked, as it did for the other securities in this same account.
    Here's what I did:
    I had already transferred all other securities in this account successfully. I did them one-by-one to make sure the transfers completed successfully. So now I only had this last security to transfer. So this time, instead of ticking the "One security" button, I ticked the "All securities" button, and Quicken did complete the transfer as I intended. Thanks again to q_lurker for the security setup hint.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The error message you posted is the exact message you get if you're attempting to effect the transfer in the "to" account, hence my suggestion:

This discussion has been closed.