Report showing where my cash is (Q Mac)

Options
Perry Smith
Perry Smith Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2022 in Reports (Mac)
I have several accounts under Investing.  Can anyone think of a way to easily figure out where my cash is?  The Investing => Portfolio view with "By Security" selected just has the total cash in all of the accounts.  I tried a summary report but you can't really select "Cash" as something to track since it isn't really an account nor a category in this instance.

(I know I can go to each account and look at the cash but I was waning something like a report with all the cash split into the different accounts.)

Comments

• hgillman
    hgillman Member ✭✭
    Options
    Mac reporting is a red-headed step child to Windows reporting. Time for Quicken to step up their game.
    The Mac reports are good for spending, etc, but TERRIBLE for investing.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Actually, this is relatively easy to accomplish. Click on Investing in the left sidebar. (Or just Brokerage or Retirement, if you want those subsets of your investments.) Click on the Portfolio tab. Set the first filter to "Portfolio Value" and the second filter to "By Account". The Portfolio will show the values of each of your accounts.

If you click Print (now stupidly hidden behind the circular ••• icon on the right side above the graph), you can print to paper, or simply open in Preview, and the report will show each of your accounts an under them the holdings in each security — including cash — in that account.

You can also see this on-screen without printing, but you need to click the little triangle to the left of each account to open its details. If you have 6 or 8 accounts, this isn't too bad, but if you have a lot of accounts, it can be annoying. Hopefully some day the developers will add an Expand/Close All button to make this easier. That's why I suggest doing Print and opening in Preview may be easier.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Perry Smith
    Perry Smith Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    jacobs said:
    Hopefully some day the developers will add an Expand/Close All button to make this easier. That's why I suggest doing Print and opening in Preview may be easier.
    Do as you suggest, Investments, Portfolio Value, By Account.  Now right click on the titles or header.  There is a way to change what is in the header along with expand all and collapse all.

Thank you for the suggestion.  I knew this but was hoping for just cash. 
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    I don't think I remembered that control-clicking on the Portfolio headers offerer an Expand/Collapse all option, so thanks for that. The problem with this Expand All is that it opens not just to the security level, but to the individual Lot level. for many users, that makes for an almost unusable mess of data. But then, strangely, Collapse All collapses the data to the security level, instead of actually collapsing all the way to the Account level. So the trick is is to open the Portfolio set to Portfolio Value, By Account, Control-Click the header to select Expand All, and Control-Click the header to select Collapse All. Or, as I said above, just Print to a PDF file/open in Preview.

You originally said you wanted a report which showed the cash in each account, and this achieves that. But you're correct that while this will let you see the Cash in each account, there's no way I can think of to show just the Cash without the other securities. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.