Downloaded Transactions screen in Register is missing "Download" function

Options
FSchleyhahn
FSchleyhahn Member ✭✭
I no longer see the option to <Download> transactions in quicken. In order to get them downloaded, I had to Reset Account from the Online Services tab. It seems like after the last Quicken update, I lost the option to manually download transactions. Please advise. Many thanks for your assistance.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Ps56k2 said:
    wow - I'm not seeing that screen with  the icons in the upper right corner - R43.26 -

I never paid a lot of attention to everything on the Downloaded Transactions section before (other than to review and Accept, Edit or Delete newly downloaded transactions) so I don't recall what used to be there what wasn't.  But I'm on R44.20 and the view for this section does seem to be different from what used to be there.  It doesn't look like there is any different functionality (at least not that I've seen) but it is laid out and shown differently.
    • "Update Transactions" is now the OSU circular arrow (although both initiate Update Now, not OSU).
    • "Web Site" is now a Globe icon.
    • The Help "?" looks like it's been moved up to just below the register on the right side.
    • The "Set up Online Payment" button is now an icon of a "$" inside a circle on the right side where the other icons are.  (This was not shown in my posted pic above because that was for a CC but it does show up for a DC Bill Pay account.)
    The two differences I see:
    • The Last Download date no longer shows up with R44.20.  That's in information difference, not a functionality difference, but one which I think does have some value.  I wonder what prompted Quicken to remove this info from this view?
    • There is an icon of an "i" inside a circle added to this view with R44.20.  Clicking on it brings up the OSU Summary.  That's a nice added touch, I think.
    I just updated to R44.20 yesterday so I'm still feeling my way around with it.  I haven't had the opportunity to dig into the "Pending Transactions" side of it, yet, which is what appears to be driving most of the R44.20 posts at this time.  That should be interesting.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not exactly sure I understand the problem.  The two ways to kick off a download for a credit card Account are:
    1. Do a One Step Update with the credit card Account selected, or
    2. Go to the credit card Account and select "Update now"
    Are you saying that neither method is available to you?
    Also, you refer to the loss of the option to "manually" download transactions and I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that.  Are you referring here to "Web Connect" where you go to the credit card company's web site select a file to download?
    It might be helpful to disclose the name of the financial institution involved in case they've made a change in downloading methods on their end.
  • FSchleyhahn
    FSchleyhahn Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Tom. What I'm trying to say (wish I could upload a screenshot to depict this) is that if I select any of my accounts (it's not just Discover missing this option but ALL of my accounts, including Investing accounts) on the left inside of the desktop version of Quicken, at the bottom under the registrar, there is a <Downloaded Transactions> link. If I select that, it maximizes, but there is no longer a <Download> option. I got into a chat room with Quicken earlier this morning and he told me to start using the One Step Update from the Tools menu option. I can select all of the accounts I want to download transactions from (or just select one account if I want). Used to be, I could just click <Download> after expanding the <Downloaded Transactions> section for any account under the registrar.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Over the last few weeks, a number of banks have dropped support for "Direct Connect" downloading into Quicken. While they were doing that, some of them also dropped support for "Web Connect" downloading from the bank's website.
    That now only leaves "Express Web Connect" or "Express Web Connect+" as transaction download mechanism. After reauthorizing your account, the Account List or the Account Details Online Services tab should now show this connection type. If it doesn't, you need to reauthorize or deactivate all accounts with this bank, then reactivate (and correctly LINK to existing account registers). This process may vary from bank to bank, but the bank's website or support center should have instructions for you.
    BTW, to attach an image file (PNG, JPG or GIF only, please) just drag the image file from Windows File Explorer into the Leave a Comment block.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I never used the "Download" feature in the expanded "Downloaded Transactions" under the Account Register.  But I did just look at it and I am seeing an icon of an arrow shaped as a circle toward the upper right of that expanded "Downloaded Transactions" section.  Hovering the cursor over it brings up a message saying "Update transactions."  Clicking on that icon brings up an Update Now popup.  So, maybe how the "Download" is portrayed here has changed but that functionality still exists.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options
    I also agree with @UKR regarding the need to reset or reauthorize some accounts.  Over the last 10 months there have been several Financial Institutions that have replaced Direct Connect and/or Express Web Connect with Express Web Connect+....Schwab, PayPal, Chase, Bank of America with more to come.  In each case, if the reauthorization was not completed before the old connection service was discontinued it would break the connection requiring an Add Account or Set Up Now process to be completed.
    Regarding Discover:  Discover dropped Direct Connect requiring set up with Express Web Connect, not Express Web Connect+.  While the new connection method requirement might be different (from Express Web Connect+) the affect on being set up for downloading is the same...it breaks the old connection method requiring reauthorization either via instructions provided by the Financial Institution or via Add Account or Set Up Now in order to get downloads set up, again.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    wow - I'm not seeing that screen with  the icons in the upper right corner - R43.26 -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FSchleyhahn said:I no longer see the option to <Download> transactions in quicken.
    Wondering why you are using this obscure single menu for any updating ?
    Why not use the One Step Update menus that update all your accounts at once -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Ps56k2 said:

I never paid a lot of attention to everything on the Downloaded Transactions section before (other than to review and Accept, Edit or Delete newly downloaded transactions) so I don't recall what used to be there what wasn't.  But I'm on R44.20 and the view for this section does seem to be different from what used to be there.  It doesn't look like there is any different functionality (at least not that I've seen) but it is laid out and shown differently.
    • "Update Transactions" is now the OSU circular arrow (although both initiate Update Now, not OSU).
    • "Web Site" is now a Globe icon.
    • The Help "?" looks like it's been moved up to just below the register on the right side.
    • The "Set up Online Payment" button is now an icon of a "$" inside a circle on the right side where the other icons are.  (This was not shown in my posted pic above because that was for a CC but it does show up for a DC Bill Pay account.)
    The two differences I see:
    • The Last Download date no longer shows up with R44.20.  That's in information difference, not a functionality difference, but one which I think does have some value.  I wonder what prompted Quicken to remove this info from this view?
    • There is an icon of an "i" inside a circle added to this view with R44.20.  Clicking on it brings up the OSU Summary.  That's a nice added touch, I think.
    I just updated to R44.20 yesterday so I'm still feeling my way around with it.  I haven't had the opportunity to dig into the "Pending Transactions" side of it, yet, which is what appears to be driving most of the R44.20 posts at this time.  That should be interesting.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Boatnmaniac said:  I just updated to R44.20 yesterday so I'm still feeling my way around with it.  I haven't had the opportunity to dig into the "Pending Transactions" side of it, yet, which is what appears to be driving most of the R44.20 posts at this time.  That should be interesting.
    tnx for the comparison comments....
    as noted and my screen above - I'm on R43.26 - and mine does have the Pending Transactions and the "hourglass" -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The discussion about the missing "Update Transactions" button vs. the new "Update" arrow icon looks to me as if it's an undocumented change between R 43.xx (old button) and R 44.xx (new button).
    Please note that the original method "Click Action gear icon in the register, select 'Update Now' (keyboard shortcut Ctrl-Alt-U)" is still available in all versions.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Options
    FYI:  Quicken has turned off the Pending Transactions feature.  I got this popup when I launch Quicken a few minutes ago.  Good move on their part.

• DavidJ
    DavidJ Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > I never used the "Download" feature in the expanded "Downloaded Transactions" under the Account Register.  But I did just look at it and I am seeing an icon of an arrow shaped as a circle toward the upper right of that expanded "Downloaded Transactions" section.  Hovering the cursor over it brings up a message saying "Update transactions."  Clicking on that icon brings up an Update Now popup.  So, maybe how the "Download" is portrayed here has changed but that functionality still exists.

Boatnmaniac, Thanks for pointing that out! I too like others have always just clicked on the update transactions button (shown in your screenshot under the Downloaded Transaction tab)... regardless if others feel it's an obscure single menu for any updating :-)

David
This discussion has been closed.