Entering transactions very slow since latest release

Options

Answers

• ejrosenzweig
    ejrosenzweig Member ✭✭
    Options
    That's what I thought once I took a look. I wasn't familiar with the merge option. I've had my memorized transactions at 3 months (that's as low as you can go) for quite some time so I'm not sure what more I can do at this time as it's such a pain to delete more manually.
  • William Aston
    William Aston Member ✭✭
    Options
    A few dozen. It was as high as 270-some odd, now it's down to 223. It seemed to help at first, but next day it was back to being slow/sluggish to record transactions.
  • dmullig
    dmullig Member ✭✭
    Options
    Add me to the list of users having the same issue for the past few months. The slowness of the One Step Update has been longer than that, but taking over 10 seconds to enter each transaction has been for a couple months. Not me taking over 10seconds to enter it, but for Quicken to enter it after I hit Enter.
  • ejrosenzweig
    ejrosenzweig Member ✭✭
    Options
    any chance that someone from Quicken will respond??? The lag is insufferable. I'd hate to have to be looking for a new application after 25+ years on Quicken.
  • William Aston
    William Aston Member ✭✭
    Options
    Here's how I solved it: I exported everything to a QIF file, created a new company file, and imported thereinto everything from the QIF file EXCEPT TRANSACTIONS. I've had to re-establish One Step Update web connections and re-create some Payees, but my new file is less than 1/4 the size of the old file (100MB instead of ~406MB or so).
  • EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Here's how I solved it: I exported everything to a QIF file, created a new company file, and imported thereinto everything from the QIF file EXCEPT TRANSACTIONS. 
    So you no longer have any past transactions? 

Quicken Classic Premier (Windows) R52.33

• William Aston
    William Aston Member ✭✭
    Options
    Oddly enough, the past transactions are still there, even though I did not select transactions to import from the QIF file. It doesn't make sense to me, but the problem is solved, at least for the time being.
  • wdavis41
    wdavis41 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Add me to the list of people who have been affected by this glitch. For the last few weeks, entering transactions, reconciling, etc. take forever.
  • RepentBSaved
    RepentBSaved Member
    Options
    Same issue here. Type a payee and it takes10-30 seconds to respond.
  • RepentBSaved
    RepentBSaved Member
    Options
    I just deleted ALL of my memorized Payee's and the issue is resolved. It doesn't remove the payee for previously entered transactions, you will just have to re-type and select categories moving forward.
  • ejrosenzweig
    ejrosenzweig Member ✭✭
    Options
    To be clear, did you remove memorized payees and/or recurring transactions? If it's just the memorized payees, I agree no big deal, but if it's recurring transactions I've got quite a few of those that would be painful to re-enter. It's unfortunate that Quicken continues to be silent on what is obviously a problem, leaving the community to resolve it on their own.
  • ejrosenzweig
    ejrosenzweig Member ✭✭
    Options
    NEWSFLASH - As of today, I have no issues at all. I'm not sure if there was an update or not when I launched Quicken today. I'm on Version R42.8 and Build 27.1.42.8. Is anyone else seeing the problem go away?
  • wdavis41
    wdavis41 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Following a tip on another community discussion of the problem, I got Quicken to run properly by changing my power setting from "Balanced" to a "Custom" setting. But that made the fan run hard on all my programs (e.g., Word). "Balanced" worked with Quicken as well as all my other programs without running the fan until a month or two ago. What changed in Quicken that it now requires significantly more power?
  • EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    wdavis41 said:
    Following a tip on another community discussion of the problem, I got Quicken to run properly by changing my power setting from "Balanced" to a "Custom" setting. But that made the fan run hard on all my programs (e.g., Word). "Balanced" worked with Quicken as well as all my other programs without running the fan until a month or two ago. What changed in Quicken that it now requires significantly more power?

While you wait for a response (from Quicken, hopefully) on the question - do you mind providing a link to that other discussion?  Thanks

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NEWSFLASH - As of today, I have no issues at all. I'm not sure if there was an update or not when I launched Quicken today. I'm on Version R42.8 and Build 27.1.42.8. Is anyone else seeing the problem go away?

A small reconciliation that I had due wasn't enough to show if this was true for me (I'm on the same version you are, now), but I'll update when I have a bigger one, and/or a transaction with a large number of entries on the split.  Fingers crossed.

• ptwigg
    ptwigg Member ✭✭
    Options
    Same issue here. I deleted all of my memorized payees. I removed/merged many transactions. Backed up and restored a few times. Validated the file. Nothing helped.

I'm on Version R42.8 and Build 27.1.42.8.
  • QuickVictim
    Options
    Same here. I only did a search, and found this thread, because accepting downloaded transactions takes like four seconds. With lots of U.I. flashing. Really a bad experience.

To be fair, they seem to want old transactions archived, and mine go back to June of 1988... I've been using Quicken for 34 years! But in theory they should want that, and anyhow, it's not that hard to index appropriately or to buffer the entire thing. It's less than 150MB, on a system with 32GB free.
  • rmb8958
    rmb8958 Member
    Options
    I find Quicken to be very sluggish as well, I do have data going back to 2001. If Quicken could provide some sort of tool to analyze performance and then make recommendations to fix/improve that would be really useful. I have already started looking at alternative software due to the slowness.
  • SteveBluhm
    SteveBluhm Member
    Options
    Add me to the list of users with extremely slow response for the past few months and it appears to be even slower now. The timing seems to be the same as issues with memorized transactions. Selecting a memorized transaction no longer copies all the splits correctly. I have to copy and paste the transaction instead.
  • gyoung345
    gyoung345 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Add me to the list as well. Transactions going back to 2012. Very slow accepting downloaded transactions as well as switching between accounts. I deleted all my memorized payees as well as repaired/validated.
  • jcholt
    jcholt Member ✭✭
    Options
    Been using quicken since 1996 without issue. Very slow for about 2 months now. Close to 15 seconds to accept any transaction. I have tried just about every suggested fix referenced - Archive, Backup/Recover, Validate, Super Validate, even reduced the number of "accounts" by 1/2 and it made no difference. Call to support resulted in a suggestion to "start fresh". Clearly not an option for most.
  • MBK
    MBK Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I have the same issue-Quicken is slow, as others have described.  I have data going back to the late 1990s.  Unfortunate that Quicken will not respond to this thread or fix this issue.
  • RobertD6
    RobertD6 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I am also experiencing this problem. I have a performance PC on local SSD and Quicken doesn't dent the CPU or memory available. I have data back to 1993 and this has never been an issue until a few releases ago. Now accepting a single downloaded transaction takes 15 seconds. Was hoping R43.32 Build 27.1.43.32 would fix this issue, but no joy. Although a Quicken user for nearly 30 years, if this can't be addressed I will finally need to migrate off as there is no way I'm paying the subscription fee to have to spend hours working through new transactions that should and previously took minutes. File repair, etc. have no effect on this problem. Seems to be related to the transaction history which was never a problem in the past. Need the dev team to setup some use cases on this as perhaps an index was missed.
  • MBK
    MBK Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    It seems that the more Quicken "Improves" things, the worse they get.  They are focusing on fancy new features, unconcerned, apparently, about about breaking fundamental functionality.
  • Landrum-Texas
    Options
    Any solutions for slow transaction entry? (R43.32)
  • EricC
    EricC Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    While we await some magic from the Quicken team. Here is a thought. Like many of you, I have been a quicken for over 30 years. As a result, my data file has a significant number of transactions across bank accounts, loans, investments, etc. I noticed that transactions are getting slower with each new release (not just the recent one). I have tried many of the proposed solutions but none of them made a difference. I started to think that the Dashboard might be a culprit because perhaps it updates after each transaction. I went into each of the Cards on the Dashboard and selected Accounts/Custom. I cleared ALL of the accounts. Of course, this makes the Cards useless, but I noticed a significant improvement when entering new transactions. I plan to pick one or two Dashboards back online... but for now, I'll take the improved performance. Good luck!
  • EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    EricC said:
    While we await some magic from the Quicken team. Here is a thought. Like many of you, I have been a quicken for over 30 years. As a result, my data file has a significant number of transactions across bank accounts, loans, investments, etc. I noticed that transactions are getting slower with each new release (not just the recent one). I have tried many of the proposed solutions but none of them made a difference. I started to think that the Dashboard might be a culprit because perhaps it updates after each transaction. I went into each of the Cards on the Dashboard and selected Accounts/Custom. I cleared ALL of the accounts. Of course, this makes the Cards useless, but I noticed a significant improvement when entering new transactions. I plan to pick one or two Dashboards back online... but for now, I'll take the improved performance. Good luck!
    How long has the dashboard been a feature?  I don't use it, at all, but I thought I noticed the slowness before it even was added to the software... ?

• lw30510
    lw30510 Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @EricC said:
    > While we await some magic from the Quicken team. Here is a thought. Like many of you, I have been a quicken for over 30 years. As a result, my data file has a significant number of transactions across bank accounts, loans, investments, etc. I noticed that transactions are getting slower with each new release (not just the recent one). I have tried many of the proposed solutions but none of them made a difference. I started to think that the Dashboard might be a culprit because perhaps it updates after each transaction. I went into each of the Cards on the Dashboard and selected Accounts/Custom. I cleared ALL of the accounts. Of course, this makes the Cards useless, but I noticed a significant improvement when entering new transactions. I plan to pick one or two Dashboards back online... but for now, I'll take the improved performance. Good luck!

You might on to something! I did something similar by going to my Home tab, switched to Classic view, then removed all Views except for one which is essentially empty. This seems to significantly speed up data entry. I'll have to give it time to see if the first impression is real, but this seems very promising!
  • jcholt
    jcholt Member ✭✭
    Options
    Background posted on 9/7/22. UPDATE - tried the actions posted recently around effectively removing the Dashboard's functionality - and my time to process any transaction dropped from ~ 15seconds down to ~4 seconds. Progress, but at the cost of losing the analysis the Dashboards brought.
  • HJH Consult
    HJH Consult Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Same issue with VR44.27 Build 27.1.44.27 Windows 10... sluggish keystroke entry started about 1 month ago? Closing and reopening Quicken runs normally for a few transactions and then bogs down again. Please consider this a bug given all recent complaints and get a repair team working on the problem. I'll send you any diagnostic file you need to fix this.
This discussion has been closed.