Entering transactions very slow since latest release

Options

Answers

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Here's an example of slow processing:  I have a bank account with 4 transactions in it, 2 of them unreconciled.  I reconcile to the online balance and, from the moment I click "Mark all," it takes 9 seconds to mark them all - all TWO of them.  9 seconds to check off 2 transactions.  That may not SOUND slow, but it is.

Quicken Classic Premier (Windows) R52.33

• TandS
    TandS Member ✭✭
    Options
    Same issue with latest R44.28. I tried eliminating the dashboard content as suggested but no improvement. Was prompted to install new update now it is even SLOWER. It was taking about 15 seconds to switch between accounts now it's 20+ seconds and when I do I get a pop up window "loading Quicken Data" . Last month support had me move file out of OneDrive folder with no improvement and I had never expericence and issue for the last 5 years when I put my file in OneDrive. I recently even added a dedicated video card for other reasons but that did not help either.
  • Lughnasadh32
    Lughnasadh32 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I am currently on R44.28 - 27.1.44.28 - Since the release prior to this, I have to Quicken becomes unbearably slow after being open for a period of time. I am used to the pauses when I have it minimized and I first 'open' it back up, but now, the more I use it in a session, the slower it gets. I have to shut it down and restart it at least 3-4 times a day now. I have tried several of the options listed in this post and others, and nothing seems to work.
  • EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    12 seconds to accept a single downloaded transaction.

• jcholt
    jcholt Member ✭✭
    Options
    After initally seeing progress resulting from disabling the Dashboard items, I am now back to 15+ seconds to accept a single transactions. One-Step-Updates that used to run in under a minute are now taking 5+ minutes.
  • lladna
    lladna Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    It's good to know I am not alone! Not that it solves the slowness, but at least I'm not going crazy.
    I do have a large file (I guess) at 180MB and 47,000 transactions, but still not sure why that means I have to wait 5 second or more to post a transaction and even longer of that spinning blue wheel to switch from one account to the next.
    @Quicken please help us find an option. I'd bet we're all now paying annually for this program, and would love to be heard with some solutions.
    By the way, when I do a validate and repair it doesn't find much of anything, but does double my file size!
  • sjmo2
    sjmo2 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Same,

Everything ran smoothly until about 2-3 months ago. I am running R44.28, 27.1.44.28 . Now I have been running in Win 11 through Parallels on mac, so many potential variables however, have never had issues until recently, and follow the reports here.

The main slowdown is when categorizing downloaded transactions for all connected accounts. Takes 5-12 seconds to search and autofill each one when I am typing in the category column. All other input areas working fine, name on the ledger etc. enter immediately with typing, so this to me points toward a function related to lookup in the category column. It has rendered the product essentially unusable with the workflow that for me has not changed in 15 years. Tried everything here already, reassessed virtual machine memory etc. no issues. Chiming in so we can at least hear back from someone @Quicken.
  • pspiel
    pspiel Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm using R45.13 27.1.45.13 on Win7. The main slowness I'm seeing is when I try to type a payee. It seems to take a long time searching through the memorized payees before it will except anything typed after the first letter. Validate helped at first, but problem returned. Same with Super Validate. I deleted all my memorized payees and the problem went away, but when I added just one memorized payee the problem came back just as bad as it was with 1500+ payees. I'm also having troubles with downloading transactions from some financial institutions, but that's a separate issue. I can sometimes get it to work and other times not. Citibank is frequently a problem. Wells Fargo will not work at all right now. I see there are no comments here since November 12. Have some of you found a resolution? Or just gave up asking/commenting because this has gone on for so long?
  • MBK
    MBK Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I suspect that given up is the answer for most commentators here. For what it is worth I have a lot of horrible slowness in getting quicken to accept data after I hit enter. But I do not seem to have a problem with memorized payee‘s. I type the first letter and it memorized payee‘s or a list shows up.
  • lladna
    lladna Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I have not "given up" as much resigned myself to this. It does not seem to be an issue Quicken wants to (or can) address. I deleted some payees, cleaned up categories, and deleted some old investments from downloading stock prices...and saw maybe a temporary improvement (but not what I would expect overall). But within days back to 10 seconds to get a transaction entered, and about as long to switch to a different account.
    As you, would love to know if anyone has found a fix, or even if Quicken is working on it?
  • RobertD6
    RobertD6 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I tried the suggested workarounds of disabling all dashboards and that definitely made an improvement for me from ~30 seconds per downloaded transaction acceptance to 4 or 5 seconds. As of build 27.1.45.13 I'm at 3 seconds or so for accepting each downloaded transactions. Could be improved, but this is back to usable versus the 30 seconds per transaction that was unusable. I use various saved Reports for most things so not having the Dashboards really doesn't affect me. Improvement was enough I just paid for the annual renewal....
  • pspiel
    pspiel Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @lladna - After posting this I closed Quicken and re-opened it because it kept getting slower and slower on entering payees. When I reopened it and tried again suddenly the problem with slowness on entering payees was gone. I have manually added a few memorized payees and turned off the preference to have payees automatically entered. Perhaps that helped. Note that it didn't seem to help at first, but after I closed and reopened Quicken the improvement was dramatic.
  • lladna
    lladna Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the udpates. I forgot to add I also deleted all of my "dashboards" and it did seem to help...but still reverting back to slow.
    I do notice that when I close and reopen it's "more" responsive at first (but not "normal"), but quickly...(within hours or a day) starts to drag again.
  • pspiel
    pspiel Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @lladna - I agree that Dashboard is somehow related to this problem. On the home tab I go to the gear in the top right and turn off Dashboard. Then under classic view I click Customize View and remove everything except Bill and Income Reminders. Now that is what I see when I open Quicken, and in that state, I don't have any slowness problems, but we'll see what future days bring. Note that for some reason sometimes when I reopen Quicken Dashboard is turned back on and I have to do this little process again.
  • mpmango1
    mpmango1 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi everyone. This is a great post (aside from the fact we're all in misery when we try to use Quicken.) I'm using the latest release as of today (R45.21) on Win 10 Home, and have been noticing this problem getting worse and worse for months. I've been using Quicken H&B since 1995 and have 100+ accounts (most of them closed.) I, too, am getting very frustrated at this problem (and interestingly enough about other bugs with the dashboards not working correctly.) I really hope Quicken makes some better analysis and repair tools for our data files and fixes this problem ASAP.
  • lladna
    lladna Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    My Quicken also crashes probably once a week, along with the slowness. But oh well,...
    Does anyone on here, ever feel like we are the last 10-15 people using Quicken?
  • mkjr
    mkjr Member
    Options
    Just want to echo all the others. I have a high performance gaming rig with 48GB of RAM.
    NOTHING on my computer runs slow, save Quicken. Sometimes if I restart the application, it will give me a little reprieve.
    I do have dual monitors, Quicken doesn't seem to like the Windows Snap feature. It'll randomly just move itself over 20% onto my 2nd monitor.
    Performance is abhorrent.
    The Validate & Repair MAYBE helped some, but I doubt it, think it was just restarting the Application if anything.

Given that Intuit has created a monopoly for desktop money management software AND they're charging annually for this product now, it'd really be nice if they created software that didn't suck so bad.

121MB file.
  • MarkW
    MarkW Member ✭✭
    Options
    The slowness, for the most part and regardless of Windows 11 OS power settings and such, is due to Intuit keeping the Quicken as a 32-bit application. Quicken runs a small DBMS inside as well and at 32-bits the translation just takes longer. All the "restore this", "validate that" type recommendations from the support gurus is boilerplate - basically to make anyone questioning things weary and look elsewhere.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7915146/64-bit-version-for-windows
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7885036/i-want-64-bit-quicken-for-windows
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The performance of Quicken has nothing to do with it being a 32-bit program.  The only real advantage of 64-bit is the ability to us more than 2GB of memory and Quicken doesn't come even close to that.  Quicken is slow because of all the mixed-up APIs and poorly implemented GUI and "refreshing/calculating" of various parts of its data when it isn't really needed.

And this latest slowdown is because they are leaking GUI resources.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • stlaman
    stlaman Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty obvious that Quicken doesn't care to fix the problem. Users shouldn't have to be their own tech support for basic flaws in Quicken's programming. If anyone knows of other financial software that can convert quicken files please share. Otherwise it looks like my Quicken files will just end up being an archive and I'll start new with a different app.
  • JimInAZ
    JimInAZ Member ✭✭
    Options
    I've seen this same slow down. I did some experimenting and it seems to be better if pop-out registers is used. It looked to me that Quicken was struggling to resize account windows when receiving transactions. So I tried the pop-out account windows, and it really seems quicker. It would be nice if others would try that and comment about it. It may help the Quicken programmers isolate the problem. It may be that they use the registers this way and don't see the failure.
  • lladna
    lladna Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @JimInAZ I have made that change and it does appear to switch from banking and credit card accounts more quickly, but still slow when going to investments. I'll keep trying and update once I give it some tests. Also, I just restarted Quicken, so usually is faster for a few runs.
    Thanks for the idea.

And @stlaman, agreed 100%, it seems to me that Quicken is coasting, hence the dated UI, and seemingly not improving overall software functionality? As to alternatives, I have yet to find any other software that imports a Quicken file, hence why I have stuck with this albatross for the last 3-4 years. Hoping at some point our voices will be heard, especially with this new model of subscription.
    Alas, happy 2023.
  • jcholt
    jcholt Member ✭✭
    Options
    I just tried the proposed action of using Pop Out registers. While it is helping some folks, in my environment, it actually increased the time to accept a transaction from 15 to 18 seconds. It also increased time to switch accounts to the point of generating a "Not Responding" error for a few seconds, which had not been there previously.
    With 30+ years of enterprise software experience (just a hair longer than my time using Quicken) I am confident this is an application issue, and not created by the users local environment. Too many users with varying configurations of hardware and operating systems are experiencing the same latency in the applications performance.
    << Quicken, these are your most tenured, loyal, and experienced customers - all dealing w/ the same performance issue....... some vendor input would sure be appreciated at this point. >>
  • GermanBlueRam
    GermanBlueRam Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mkjr said:
    Just want to echo all the others. I have a high performance gaming rig with 48GB of RAM.
    NOTHING on my computer runs slow, save Quicken. Sometimes if I restart the application, it will give me a little reprieve.

Similar "slowness" experience here, with a powerful Windows desktop.  Not completely sure, but it seems to have begun with the update to R44.20 in September.  My main pain point is the time it takes for Quicken to "recognize" a saved payee, security, etc., as I am beginning to type the name.   If I restart the application, the process typically speeds up, at least temporarily.  
  • eyeks
    eyeks Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you @JimInAZ - using Pop-out account windows definitely helped. But I agree Quicken is behind the times... and at this rate it will loose users.
  • stlaman
    stlaman Member
    Options
    At my age I don't make New Years resolutions but I am resolving to quit Quicken and start anew with a competitor and use my Quicken file as an archive since none of the competitors can easily convert Quicken files. Can't take it anymore. I should have known they were going to be a problem after Intuit sold them off to a private equity firm.
  • Fletch200
    Fletch200 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @stlaman - Ditto. Paying yearly for something that just continues to become more difficult to use is not something I'm willing to continue. At this point it would probably be faster for me to re-install the last non-subscription version and manually enter ALL of my transactions going forward. More typing on my part but might save me some time and pain.
  • QuickenDave32983
    Options

Possible solution below:

I have been dealing with this for a while too. Every time that I would accept an investing transaction or credit card transaction it would take 5-10 seconds and I would get a "Not Responding" on the application title bar and then a couple seconds later it would start responding again and the transaction was saved.

I happened to do something a couple of days ago that magically fixed it for me. I went to "File" > "Copy or Backup File…" and did the first option "Create a complete backup". As soon as that finished all my data entry was very responsive. I keep my Quicken app open all the time and several days later it was slow again. I did the same backup step and everything was snappy again. 

I'm curious if others with this issue can try this step and see if it fixes the issue for them too. My data file has almost 20 years of data in it.

• jeff2r
    jeff2r Member ✭✭
    Options
    Looking into Tiller; it looks like a big kludge, but should be much more functional than this junk masquerading as software, which should be euthanized. I would have used Microsoft Money for Excel had I learned about it earlier, but apparently it's sadly about to be retired. Microsoft Money was always a far superior product. It was so upsetting when they abandoned it.
  • EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I create a complete backup every few days, and its not made a difference, for me.

This discussion has been closed.