Importing Chase QFX always creates a second new account after EWC+ migration

Options
SteveY
SteveY Member ✭✭
Since I'm a victim of the Chase EWC+ conversion (it updates but doesn't download anything), I've been importing a QFX file from the bank. My process is:

- download the file
- edit it to change the "<ACCTID>" line from the full card number to the last 4 digits "<ACCTID>...5555"
- edit the Chase card account
- on the Online Services tab click Download and Import Transactions
- note Import File For Account has only one option, the current account
- import the file

At this point it imports the transactions into the correct account as expected. Note I change the account number because if I don't, it can't find the correct account and imports all data into a new account. Even though it's the only option in the window. (I hit upon this because EWC+ changes the account number in Quicken to the last 4 digits)

However:

- it creates a new "Credit Card at Chase" account (without prompting)
- account number "...5555"
- no transactions in it
- the opening balance on that account is set to some value, dated in the past (4/22/22)

I can delete the bogus new account but it's annoying to do so every time. It would be great if either option to import transactions actually worked, without manual steps.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The only one that can fix the QFX file is Chase.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I went from Direct Connect to Web Connect .QFX file download & import and it works just fine.   I do not make any changes to the .QFX file, not sure why you are making any changes at all.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• SteveY
    SteveY Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @splasher said:
    > not sure why you are making any changes at all.

If I don't, then the transactions are imported into the newly created account and not the selected account. After trying many things I guessed it had to do with EWC changing the account number in Quicken, and making the QFX file match worked. That may not be the ideal way but I don't have another.

From Chase I have the choice of QFX, QIF (Quicken/Money), or QBO (QuickBooks).
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The problem when you mix the connection types.

In the past with Direct Connect/Web Connect/Express Web Connect, Chase kept all the information that Quicken uses to identify online account the same, which it uses to match to an account in Quicken.  This allowed you to use any of these connection methods jumping between them.

It seems though that when Chase changed to Express Web Connect + they changed what they send to Quicken for this information but didn't change it in the Web Connect/QFX file.

The result is, until Chase fixes it so they are the same you can't jump between them, at least not without editing the QFX file.

If you stick with either Web Connect/QFX or Express Web Connect + then it won't require this workaround.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    P.S.  One choice might have been the QIF file, but if I remember correctly Chase broke that years ago.
    A transaction in QIF format should look like this:
    C*
    D01/11/2011
    NN/A
    PSUBWAY        03348364
    T-7.61
    ^

Chase is dropping that last ^ that ends the transaction.

The QIF format isn't ideal anyways because of the restrictions Quicken Inc put on its importing in Quicken Subscription where it doesn't match existing transactions and doesn't process Memorized payees to categorize, or process renaming rules. But it does have one virtue, it imports by account name if it is in the QIF file or by the user selecting the account in the QIF import dialog.
    Signature:
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One more thing to remember is that, if an account is activated for downloading from within Quicken (OSU or "Update Now"), this account is NOT available to receive transactions from an imported QFX file. A new account will be created instead.
    If you want to switch to always importing QFX (aka Web Connect) directly into the existing account register, you need to deactivate the Express Web Connect connection.

• SteveY
    SteveY Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @UKR said:
    > One more thing to remember is that, if an account is activated for downloading from within Quicken (OSU or "Update Now"), this account is NOT available to receive transactions from an imported QFX file. A new account will be created instead.
    > If you want to switch to always importing QFX (aka Web Connect) directly into the existing account register, you need to deactivate the Express Web Connect connection.

Well maybe that's it, however the only reason I'm doing it via QFX is because OSU doesn't actually download anything after the conversion to EWC+. see: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20305156

In essence you're suggesting disabling OSU for that account, and update manually until/if Quicken gets it working. I tried that, using File/Import this time (since that option no longer shows in the account details anymore) and you're correct it does import and doesn't create a second account, without editing the file. Thanks!

ref:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7917620/new-chase-account-authorization-issues/p1

probably not relevant but:
    "(QFX) Web Connect files not importing" known issue, since January:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20305951
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @SteveY I see you got the answer, sorry I wasn't that clear on what was needed.  Basically, Quicken can only match one online account to one Quicken account at a time.  And because Chase isn't being consistent in the account information it is sending for the two connection methods, Quicken considers them to be two different online accounts.

The real fix of course would be for Chase to fix their QFX file, but only using one connection method at a time, is a workaround.

Note on the posting for QFX not importing.  I'm not sure what is going on there.  They have had that open issue since January and some people have reported having problems, but at the same time the majority of people haven't had a problem importing their QFX files.

As far as not downloading Chase transactions using Express Web Connect +, hopefully they will get to the bottom of that, but here is something to check if you have investment accounts with Chase.  It seems that when activating those accounts, it will include the non-investment accounts and change the financial institution name from "Chase" to "Chase Investments - New", and that will cause transactions not to download.
    Signature:
  • SteveY
    SteveY Member ✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > @SteveY I see you got the answer, sorry I wasn't that clear on what was needed.  Basically, Quicken can only match one online account to one Quicken account at a time. 

Well, the weird thing is, then, that Quicken added a specific prompt to manually import data. This only shows up on the EWC+/Chase accounts. Screen cap attached. Incorrect display and all.

I don't have any Chase investment accounts.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, I have seen that, it was added quite recently.  I'm not sure of all the details on how it works.
    I suspect even though it is initiated from that account, it will still follow the same rules on matching the account details of the online account to the one in Quicken, but I haven't tested that so I can be wrong about it.  It would certainly be worth a try.

Note that this prompt seems to now be in couple of places.  The Online Services tab that you pointed out (but not for Direct Connect), the gear icon menu in the register -> Import transactions from Bank website.

Clicking on the one in the gear icon menu, I get this:

That sort implies that it will override the "matching" of the account information.
    Signature:
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SteveY said:
    Since I'm a victim of the Chase EWC+ conversion (it updates but doesn't download anything), I've been importing a QFX file from the bank. My process is:

- download the file
    - edit it to change the "<ACCTID>" line from the full card number to the last 4 digits "<ACCTID>...5555"
    - edit the Chase card account
    - on the Online Services tab click Download and Import Transactions
    - note Import File For Account has only one option, the current account
    - import the file

At this point it imports the transactions into the correct account as expected. Note I change the account number because if I don't, it can't find the correct account and imports all data into a new account. Even though it's the only option in the window. (I hit upon this because EWC+ changes the account number in Quicken to the last 4 digits)

However:

- it creates a new "Credit Card at Chase" account (without prompting)
    - account number "...5555"
    - no transactions in it
    - the opening balance on that account is set to some value, dated in the past (4/22/22)

I can delete the bogus new account but it's annoying to do so every time. It would be great if either option to import transactions actually worked, without manual steps.
    Hi @SteveY

Contrarily to instructions to leave your Chase Accounts intact when reauthorizing the accounts, is totally wrong. I work with copies of the Quicken Data File, so I experimented with Reauthoring my Chase Accounts. Leaving the Accounts, only before Reauthorizing them, it did not work.
    I restored my last Manual Backup File. Then I Deactivated all my Chase Registers. Then I went up to  File to New Quick File. Dotted New Quicken Account and clicked OK I clicked on the Chase Icon.

Got this: 

I clicked Sign in and it opened my Default Browser and I signed in using the Browser and completed the Reauthorization. I closed the Browser and completed the correct linking to the correct registers.

It does not work correctly, if you don't Deactivate first

Questions?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• SteveY
    SteveY Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    >
    > That sort implies that it will override the "matching" of the account information.

It does, and especially so if only one choice of account is listed, but Quicken ignored that choice unless I manually edited the QFX file to make the account number match what was in Quicken (after EWC changed/hid it).

So...
    1) they didn't test EWC conversion very well (see other thread)
    2) Q doesn't download transactions with EWC for everyone (see #1)
    3) the import link they added is formatted wrong/overwrites other text (see #1)
    4) the import link they added "works" but imports into a new account (see #1)
    5) two (at least?) rushed updates haven't fixed all these issues
    6) after using Quicken for getting on 30 years, it's now a subscription so the price has at least quadrupled for me (vs buying it every few years, and Basic doesn't exist anymore)
    7) I now have to update this account manually

I'll just stop here. :) Seems like they should have tested it all just a bit better.
This discussion has been closed.