Anyone to explain how best to use: TAGS-NOTES-MEMOS

Options
Tegiro
Tegiro Unconfirmed, Member
I'm new to Quicken and when using my register, I find these 3 columns available but would like a bit more explanation as to the best way to use them. I have Categories fine-tuned but these 3 other columns need more explanation for me if I'm to use them with Categories. Can anyone offer me some written explanations (manual?) or even a video?
Thank you

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For Tags......There are Categories and Sub-Categories and Tags. You use a colon in front of a sub-category.  The forward slash / designates a Tag  or there is also a TAG column.  

Example of Sub-Category….
    Auto:Auto Fuel
    Auto:Maintance

Example of Tags…
    Auto Fuel/Toyota
    Auto Fuel/Ford

I have a home business and use Tags for each job.  Then when I run a report I can sort it by job.  So an expense entry might look like this…
    Business Expense:Supplies/Maple Street

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You didn't mention which three columns you are talking about.
    I guess the presumption is category, memo, and tag (note there are others that can be turned on/off with this icon in the register: 

Category you got.  Memo, just some note to yourself about this transaction.
    @volvogirl already mentioned a use case for tags, but I will state what is different about them than categories.

First off categories can have subcategories, tags can't, they are all at the same level even if multiple tags are applied to the same transaction.  For instance, if you pull up a report filter to TagA that will give you every transaction that has TagA on it even if that transaction has other tags on it like TagA:TagB...

Next, I view the main reason for tags is to avoid having to create duplicate categories.
    You could have categories like this:

Vacation A:Dining
    Vacation A:Hotel
    Vacation B:Dining
    Vacation B:Hotel

Needless to say, this would give you a lot of possible duplicate categories.  Tags allow you to reuse the same categories and still keep them separate when you do things like run a report.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Tegiro
    Tegiro Unconfirmed, Member
    Options
    To volvogirl, Chris_QPW and Tom Young,
    Thank you all for your response to my query. They all had excellent answers to my question. I will now experiment with your suggested ideas and hope I can use them to my advantage in reports etc.
    Again, thank you for your help.
    Tegiro
This discussion has been closed.