Menards Credit Card not syncing after March change

qknfender
qknfender Member ✭✭
On March 8th online account access for Menards changed, they have a "new experience" that required a new login. https://menardsbigcard.capitalone.com/

After the change, Quicken is no longer able to connect and download transactions. I have reset the account and attempted to set it up again, but I just get a generic error message from Quicken.

I contacted Quicken support twice. They went through basic troubleshooting and then said it was the Financial Institution's problem. I contacted the FI and, of course, they say it is Quicken's problem. Quicken and the FI are both unwilling to escalate the problem so the two parties can talk and get it solved.

Please, if you have this problem, contact Quicken and Capitol One and try to convince them to work together!

Best Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @qknfender,

I'm not sure that you are aware of this, but Capital One has some special requirements to set-up their accounts - including credit cards.  If you haven't already, please take a look at the guidance located HERE.

Let us know how that goes or if you have any follow-up questions.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• qknfender
    qknfender Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I solved it! Quicken does, in fact need to be updated, but there is a workaround. Instead of choosing "Menards Credit Card" as the financial institution I chose "Capitol One Card Services". Quicken needs to remove obsolete the Menards Credit Card option, it no longer functions. Thanks @Frankx for inspiring me to try something different.

I should have come here before reaching out to Quicken Support! They are so focused on running their standard troubleshooting procedures they do not take the time to understand the issue to get to the root cause.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @qknfender,

I'm not sure that you are aware of this, but Capital One has some special requirements to set-up their accounts - including credit cards.  If you haven't already, please take a look at the guidance located HERE.

Let us know how that goes or if you have any follow-up questions.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• qknfender
    qknfender Member ✭✭
    Thank you @Frankx . I looked at the article, and it seems like Quicken should take me through this process after entering my username and password. I am unable to get that far. The setup screen asks for my username and password, and after entering them I get a message saying, "Sorry. We encountered an error. (It's not your fault.)"

If I had to guess, Quicken is not updated to know that Capital One is the FI for Menards Credit Cards so it is trying to sync with the wrong endpoints on the backend.
  • qknfender
    qknfender Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I solved it! Quicken does, in fact need to be updated, but there is a workaround. Instead of choosing "Menards Credit Card" as the financial institution I chose "Capitol One Card Services". Quicken needs to remove obsolete the Menards Credit Card option, it no longer functions. Thanks @Frankx for inspiring me to try something different.

I should have come here before reaching out to Quicken Support! They are so focused on running their standard troubleshooting procedures they do not take the time to understand the issue to get to the root cause.
  • WileyCoyote
    WileyCoyote Member
    qknfender, how did you change the financial institution on your Quicken account? On mine it is locked and appears that I cannot edit or change it, even after I have deactivated the online services connection. The only option seems to be to close the account in Quicken and create a new one with the new financial institution, but I'm hoping to avoid that if there's a way to change it in the existing account.
  • qknfender
    qknfender Member ✭✭
    I went to Account Details and Deactivated the account on the Online Services tab. After deactivating, click the Add Account button. Choose Capitol One Card Services and enter your credentials. It's not intuitive at all, but if you pretend you are going to add a new account Quicken will give you the option to link the online account to an existing account in Quicken.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @WileyCoyote

You shouldn't have to set up a new account in Quicken.  If you have deactivated the old account, you should:
    1) Open the old account in Quicken > click on the "gear" icon in the upper right & select "edit Account Details";
    2) On the "General tab > remove/delete the "Financial Institution Name" > replace it with "Capital One Card Services;
    3) Next, edit the "Account Number" (it likely changed) to the new number;
    4) Click on the "Online Services" tab > Click "Setup Now";
    5) Follow the on-screen instructions to "connect" the account to the new provider.

Let me know if you have any followups and how it goes.

Frankx

• WileyCoyote
    WileyCoyote Member
    Thank you both for your replies. Unfortunately, I did not see any way to delete or edit the current financial institution and change it to Capital One on the Account Details. However, the method described by qknfender worked perfectly, so problem solved. That definitely was not intuitive!
  • LandofCope52
    LandofCope52 Member ✭✭
    I have the same (or similar) problem with my Menard's financial institution. I have had the Menard's Capital One card for a long time. I thought I used to download transactions, but not sure. Currently I cannot do so. I removed the Menard's credit card (or whatever it was) as the financial institution and replaced it with "Capital One Card Services". Now when I select the Setup Online, Quicken starts 2 Windows Host Processes and appears to become inactive. I have to end the task in Task Manager because it never responds after that. Can someone tell me what to do to enable transaction downloads again? Thank you.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @LandofCope52,

First I want to make sure I understand your situation.  Did you just receive a new "Menard's" credit card?  Was this card issued by Capital One?

It also sounds like you may have (you seem unsure) downloading transactions for the old Menard's card - is that correct?  If so, is it important that you continue that "old account" and its related data?  I ask this because it may be easier to simply close the old account and start a new one.

Get back to me and we'll go from there.

Frankx

• LandofCope52
    LandofCope52 Member ✭✭
    Hello Frankx, Thank you so much for the reply. I wanted to post a follow-up that the problem was solved but I was not able to find the posts.
    So let me explain. Yes it is a Capital One card and at some point I had received a updated card. I had previously downloaded transactions (before the problem began) and yes I would want to keep all prior transactions.
    Anyway, another post that I found in the community revealed the secret that I needed to know and that was that the financial institution that I needed was Capital One Card - Current. I had tried other Capital one institutions but they would not work. Also I had mentioned that Quicken would appear to become inactive (locked up) but I think it was waiting for me to supply some security information to the financial institution which I couldn't see. I assume I couldn't see it maybe was because I didn't have an account at that institution.
    At any rate, once I identified the correct financial institution for Menard's mentioned above, the problem was resolved and I've been downloading transactions normally ever since.
    Thanks again to you Frankx. I really appreciate your reaching out to me.
    LandofCope52
This discussion has been closed.